Earl Grey Cake From Boxed Mix?

Baking By Limpy Updated 20 Mar 2015 , 7:27pm by LeanneW

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 12:48am
post #1 of 7

Love the doctored cake mix recipe. Friend wants an Earl Grey tea flavour cake. Should I just use some of the water called for in the recipe, make strong tea, let it cool & then continue as usual ?

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 7

that's what i would do and/or if the flavor is too light you can use a simple syrup 'splash' as well where you infuse some eg tea into simple syrup and brush or squirt it onto the baked cake --

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 7

I make delicious shortbread cookies that have the tea leaves right in the batter. I grind it up with a pestle and mortar, or you could use a coffee grinder. I add a little orange zest since it goes nicely with the earl grey. You could just add ground up tea to your batter, of course you would see the flecks, which you might not want. 

As a fan of flavored syrups, I love k8's suggestion.

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 12:23am
post #4 of 7

Though I don't use box mix, I make a spiced chai tea cake where I steep the tea bags into heated milk and use that as a sub in my normal white cake recipe.  It has beautiful flavor.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 7

oftheeicing -- infused milk is brilliant

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks K8memphis.... I love playing around with my liquids. The possibilities are endless!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 7

YES! I do this with the cream for making ganache with orange zest, never thought of it in the cake batter. Pure genius! I love tea so much, being Canadian, I think I need to make myself an earl grey cake.

Quote by @oftheeicing on 19 hours ago

Though I don't use box mix, I make a spiced chai tea cake where I steep the tea bags into heated milk and use that as a sub in my normal white cake recipe.  It has beautiful flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%