Help. Need To Figure Out How/what The Gold On This Cake Is?

Decorating By yoyopof3 Updated 27 Mar 2015 , 3:21am by jessicake

yoyopof3 Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 16

I was sent this photo of a bridal shower cake, and I cannot come up with how the gold accent is done.  Not sure if I can get the picture posted in this forum, but I am going to try?

15 replies
yoyopof3 Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 16

Well, then.  Maybe someone can tell me how to post a photo to the forum?

pastrypet Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 16

You can't. They might fix that. Do you have a link to the location of the picture?

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 16
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 16

so you can post a link to it -- go to "gallery" up on the banner under the cc logo and follow the prompts at "add a photo"

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 16

first of all i did this from a laptop -- i don't think it's possible on  my phone anyhow--

then after the download go back and open it up -- get the address -- then there's a funny off center figure 8 sort of icon at the top of the "reply"  box -- there's 20 icons total and  it's the 4th one from the last -- follow those prompts

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 16

but i just found out you can do the upload then copy and paste from there to the post

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 1 hour ago was driving me crazy that we couldn't post pictures, especially here!  I noticed some people were able to so I asked Melmar how it's done.  She said copy and paste on a desktop or laptop.  I tried to do it directly from my pictures but it didn't work.  Then I tried putting the picture in the gallery and then copying and pasting - then bingo!  

yoyopof3 Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 16

Ok.  See if this link works.  I thought they were like edible gold sequins initially and I think I could use that, but they don't have holes in the middle they just look like flat discs.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 16

i would re-create those by

• rolling out some cornstarch infused fondant real thin
  • probably roll on a lightly greased surface
  • cut out tons of little circles with a little space in between
  • remove the excess
  • then re-roll them lightly to get the random shaping
  • color them
  • let them dry
  • let them dry maybe put on a form so they are flat against the surface of/for the smaller tiers

yoyopof3 Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 16

That is what I was thinking too.  That's going to be a pain.  LOL.  The total sequin cakes where you can just pile them on and then paint the whole cake in a luster dust seems so much simpler than having to put each one on individually!

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 2:34pm
post #11 of 16

the good news is full coverage is on the small tiers and scattered coverage on the large tiers

yoyopof3 Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 2:38pm
post #12 of 16

I guess that's true.  Well, maybe I will post a pic when I finish it so you can see the damage!  LOL it will not be as pristine as this one was!  But it's one of those things, where its a cake that I am doing for a friends daughters bridal shower, and so the $$ is not the same as if it were for someone else.  Not that I will cut corners, but I only do this part time anyway, and speed saves me $$ on "friendly cakes"!  That sounds awful!  You have been such a huge help.  I have barely been on this site in forever and haven't posted pics here in lord knows how long.  I probably should look through and update my gallery at some point, but now I have another side job and am seriously considering getting out of the cake biz all together! 

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 2:51pm
post #13 of 16

come to think about it i think i'd try/test modeling choco for this operation then the warmth of you hand could get them to flex for you 

but it has to be tested first i don't know for sure

looking forward to seeing your handiwork

i think it has a kind of animal like leopard-y vibe to it in gold

know what else you could do is dot the surface with uneven circular imprints and go back and color them in -- easier still

-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 4:42pm
post #14 of 16

i mean dot the fondant surface after the cake is final iced -- 

tenwestfalin Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 5:07pm
post #15 of 16

I just discovered Kara's couture cakes...great videos...One on gelatin sequins. ..maybe that could help....

jessicake Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 3:21am
post #16 of 16

I just received a picture of they SAME CAKE from a bride.  I am trying to decide the lesser of the evils:  hand-painting each dot on the cake or hand-gluing each dot on the cake!  

I'm leaning toward B: glue - - - Because I can make and paint the sequins ahead of time and recruit helpers to assist with the day-of assembly.  

Yoyopof3, we should keep in touch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%