Has Anyone Used Deck Or Pizza Oven For Muffins Or Cupcakes?

Baking By Tedm Updated 18 Mar 2015 , 3:25pm by Tedm

Tedm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tedm Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 5

I need to purchase an additional oven as mine is an old gas one and it's very unreliable (hot/cold spots, can never get the temperature right, even with a thermometer). From my research I understand that convection ovens are not ideal for muffins and cupcakes as the strong fan can cause them to turn out lopsided or prevent them from rising. So I now started looking at deck/pizza ovens, which some users find good for cakes and pies. Has anyone used them for muffins or cupcakes? Will they overbake on the top and bottom, because the chamber is smaller and they will be closer to the heating elements?

Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 5

i baked for years in a 4 deck pizza oven that held 8 full sheet pans -- baked everything in there muffins/cupcakes included --

but just about every oven has highs & lows -- obviously your oven's issues must be extreme but with that established -- the pizza ovens i've had have stone floors that hold the heat so the temperature is more stable and there's more even baking --

but i even had these giant sheet pans that filled the entire deck and i baked giant coffeecakes in there -- i would not bake a cake in there but yeasted kuchens baked great --

the only problem with the shorter oven space is that one year i had to smash all the turkeys to get them to fit in there --

but all ovens are not created equal --

i now have a 3 deck deluxe cake oven that has soft convection and it's a lovely thing :)

best to you -- it's a big decision

Tedm Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 11:43am
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the reply, K8memphis!

Did you find that you have to adjust the recipes in anyway in your pizza oven? Also how long did it take to reach the temperature? Thanks!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 12:43pm
post #4 of 5

no, my recipes i just straight up multiplied them out to fit my needs or used commercials mixes etc, was for a cafeteria in a boarding school -- just a normal time to come to temp -- i loved that oven think it was a blodgett

Tedm Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much! It's very helpful :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%