Best Buttercream Recipe - Regular Vs. Italian Meringue

Baking By mrsg1111 Updated 22 Mar 2015 , 6:31am by CookieNibz

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I am making a cake this weekend for a friend who asked for buttercream frosting.  I haven't made buttercream since I started fondant.  I'm excited because I it's been so long however, I wasn't ever crazy about my buttercream recipe.  They requested a buttercream that is NOT like whipped cream.  I've never used Italian meringue and have always wanted to try.  I don't want this cake to be the tester so I would appreciate any suggestions.  What is your favorite.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 7

swiss and italian meringue buttercreams are lighter and kind of 'whippy' so if someone asks me for not whipped icing i'd make a classic american buttercream -- 2#s sifted powdered sugar, 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup buttermilk or cream and vanilla

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 7

SOOOOO frustrating!  I had my reply all typed out and it got lost :(

Since they have requested b'cream that is not whipped cream I suggest you use the "2 of everything icing" recipe.

I just tried to post a link but the search feature isn't working so there it is:

2 cups butter, room temp

2 Cups Crisco

2 pounds sugar

2 shakes of a salt shaker :)

2 Tablespoons flavoring (can be any combination you like - try: 2 teaspoon vanilla; 1 teaspoon butter 1/2 teaspoon almond OR any other flavor you prefer)

Beat together the Crisco and butter on low for 5 minutes;  add about 1/3 of the sugar and beat on low for 5 minutes then add another 1/3 of the sugar w/the salt & beating another 5 minutes before adding the last sugar along with the flavoring and continue beating for 5 to 10 minutes.

The long slow beating will produce a very smooth, flavorful icing that does NOT crust and is very easy to pipe with.  If you want it to crust reduce the butter *and* Crisco by 1/2 cup *each*. 

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 7

Oh Thank you so much!  That's what I've been reading! Thank you so much for the recipe!  Is that granulated sugar or powdered sugar?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry I haven't been on since I posted the recipe.  Yes it is powdered sugar. 

lucy_23409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucy_23409 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 7

I like the Italian Meringue Buttercream but I can never get it consistent each time I make it.  I think my mixer is not the best.  I would go with a regular buttercream and try the Italian meringue another time when you do not have the pressure.

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:31am
post #7 of 7

I spent a lot of time perfecting an ABC recipe, thought I was in love with it. Well, my eyes were opened! I posted this question, and a bunch of wonderful women introduced me to the delightfully creamy smooth light world of SMBC & IMBC. And they are easy & versatile! I'm never turning back,lol! Check this forum out. http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/782259/smbc-what-is-the-difference

A LOT of helpful info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%