Best Buttercream Recipe - Regular Vs. Italian Meringue

Baking By mrsg1111 Updated 22 Mar 2015 , 6:31am by CookieNibz

mrsg1111 Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All,

I am making a cake this weekend for a friend who asked for buttercream frosting.  I haven't made buttercream since I started fondant.  I'm excited because I it's been so long however, I wasn't ever crazy about my buttercream recipe.  They requested a buttercream that is NOT like whipped cream.  I've never used Italian meringue and have always wanted to try.  I don't want this cake to be the tester so I would appreciate any suggestions.  What is your favorite.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 7

swiss and italian meringue buttercreams are lighter and kind of 'whippy' so if someone asks me for not whipped icing i'd make a classic american buttercream -- 2#s sifted powdered sugar, 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup buttermilk or cream and vanilla

kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 7

SOOOOO frustrating!  I had my reply all typed out and it got lost :(

Since they have requested b'cream that is not whipped cream I suggest you use the "2 of everything icing" recipe.

I just tried to post a link but the search feature isn't working so there it is:

2 cups butter, room temp

2 Cups Crisco

2 pounds sugar

2 shakes of a salt shaker :)

2 Tablespoons flavoring (can be any combination you like - try: 2 teaspoon vanilla; 1 teaspoon butter 1/2 teaspoon almond OR any other flavor you prefer)

Beat together the Crisco and butter on low for 5 minutes;  add about 1/3 of the sugar and beat on low for 5 minutes then add another 1/3 of the sugar w/the salt & beating another 5 minutes before adding the last sugar along with the flavoring and continue beating for 5 to 10 minutes.

The long slow beating will produce a very smooth, flavorful icing that does NOT crust and is very easy to pipe with.  If you want it to crust reduce the butter *and* Crisco by 1/2 cup *each*. 

mrsg1111 Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 7

Oh Thank you so much!  That's what I've been reading! Thank you so much for the recipe!  Is that granulated sugar or powdered sugar?

kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry I haven't been on since I posted the recipe.  Yes it is powdered sugar. 

lucy_23409 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 4:08pm
post #6 of 7

I like the Italian Meringue Buttercream but I can never get it consistent each time I make it.  I think my mixer is not the best.  I would go with a regular buttercream and try the Italian meringue another time when you do not have the pressure.

CookieNibz Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:31am
post #7 of 7

I spent a lot of time perfecting an ABC recipe, thought I was in love with it. Well, my eyes were opened! I posted this question, and a bunch of wonderful women introduced me to the delightfully creamy smooth light world of SMBC & IMBC. And they are easy & versatile! I'm never turning back,lol! Check this forum out.

A LOT of helpful info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%