Sugar Pearl Border - Help!

Decorating By alcnbv Updated 25 Mar 2015 , 6:53pm by cclips

alcnbv Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone, 

I have a wedding cake for October 2015 that requires numerous different sized sugar pearls (ranging from 2mm-5mm sized pearls) to border the base of each tier. I have posted a link as an example of what I would like it to look like. Does anyone have any suggestions for quick and easy application? 

Help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

15 replies
Gingerlocks Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 2:27pm
post #2 of 16

That is just a mix of gold dragees. You can find them on GSA or other cake supply stores.

alcnbv Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 16

Hi Gingerlocks, 

Do you have any suggestions for quick and application? I would prefer not to spend hours putting them on one by one. 

Thank you! 

Gingerlocks Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 16

To get that look, I don't think there is another option from putting them on one by one. If it doesn't need to look exact; you could place the chilled cake on a large plate and grab a hand full of mixed dragees and do it that way..I've never tired this methoid with dragees, but it might work. Otherwise, it's one at a time sorry!

Jimbosnccakelady Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 16

I am in the same boat. I have to do a boarder on a wedding cake that's actually wider than yours. I will be applying it to buttercream. wondering if I tried to pick them up with clear tape, would they transfer easily to the side of the cake when I touch the icing. I'm gonna try it soon and will let you know if it worked. praying we don't have to do the one by one method!!!

alcnbv Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 16

Hi Jimbosnccakelady,

I thought of that too! I've seen other forums suggesting royal icing or piping gel, not sure how the piping gel would hold up. Let me know if the tape method works! 

Thank you!

Jimbosnccakelady Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 4:00pm
post #7 of 16

will let you know!!

mrsg1111 Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 16

I would think that the tape idea is good but tape might be stickier than the buttercream.  I may not release.  I would try parchment paper with Crisco on it or something like that.. maybe piping gel.

ropalma Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 5:46pm
post #9 of 16

I saw something here in CC where they used wax paper with some shortening, placed the dragees on the wax paper.  Then lifted the wax paper to the cake and they stuck to the cake and released from the was paper.

erin2345 Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 16

I smeared a thin layer of royal icing along the bottom  and then grabbed a handful and stuck a bunch on.  But then you have to go in and fill in the gaps one by one :)

alcnbv Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you ropalma and erin2345! I'll give those suggestions a try. 

Gator Gal Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 16

How far in advance can sugar pearls be made before they lose their pliability?  I've got a large wedding cake in three weeks and wanted to go ahead and get the strings made. I've heard if you add fondant to gum paste they won't dry out as quickly. 

ropalma Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 5:24pm
post #13 of 16

If you do them only in fondant and no gumpaste they will harden but never hard enough that you cannot move them.  Make a test.  Mold a small string out of fondant and let it sit for 4 - 5 days and see how hard they get.

Gator Gal Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 12:46am
post #14 of 16

Thanks ropalma.  I will give it a test!

lucy_23409 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 16

They definately look like the dragees, I couldn't imagine getting the balls so small in fondant.  I think it will take a while to put them on but will be well worth the effect when it is finished.  Maybe the really small ones you could put on a teaspoon and tip them on around the bottom of the cake?

cclips Posted 25 Mar 2015 , 6:53pm
post #16 of 16

The best method would be to use the royal icing around the bottom, mix up all the sizes of dragees, and press them into the royal icing just like you would putting nuts, etc on a cake ( for me that is by the hand full, pressing in.)  If you are using fondant and unable to get a color that will match it in royal icing, you can try making a paste of your colored fondant and using that to secure them on.  Just add a tiny bit of water to a lump of fondant and mix it up, keep adding tiny amounts of water until you get a spreadable paste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%