Cake Decorating Party

Business By Chefperl Updated 18 Mar 2015 , 4:54am by julia1812

Chefperl Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 8

I need some help!  

I am doing a cake decorating party for 55 girls on sunday.  Because of a family death, I was out of the country last week and was unable to touch base to finalize details.  

On friday I called the hostess and went over all the details again of what we had discussed weeks ago. She suggested I call the caterer to figure out set up. I was already annoyed about that, it wasn't my place to do that. She needed to take care of the details to ensure there was enough space for me. 

When I called the caterer on Friday (when i got back to the country) the caterer was already gone for  the weekend. I called this morning. He explained that it's a small party room and they are already having 75 people not any more room to set up more tables. He suggested I call the hostess to come up with a different idea. 

I called her to let her know that we need a different plan. I reminded her that I needed a half an hour to set up. (each girl gets her own 6 inch cake to decorate, so there is a lot of supplies needed to set up 55 seats)She said that they will have the girls move away from the tables so I can set up. I said that that is very chaotic, but if that is the only way it will work, I can still do the party but I would have to charge an additional $70 to hire 2 people to help me set up.  Her husband started yelling at me on the phone that I was unprofessional, and I had no idea how to run a business. He was so nasty. I have been doing this for 9 years now, and I have never been talked to like this. I was so tempted to give him the deposit back and tell him to jump in a lake. I spoke to someone for guidance, I was told to stay firm and and offer the refund if they  wanted to cancel the party.  I sent an email at 11:27 saying please let me know if you want to proceed. At 11:34 she said everything is fine.  I then said fine, please make your final payment of $420 as soon as possible as the event is less than a week away.  

I get a call 4 hrs later FROM HER HUSBAND!!!!!

I said i cleared it all with his wife, he said he didn't care, I need to deal with him now.   OMG!!!    He was so rude. I told him everything and it was all fine until the payment. He said no payment until after the party. I said absolutely not.  Ok so this is where I need the help.   Am I wrong?  I have never handed over a cake or services without full payment. I said it was standard industry to be paid in full.   I feel like he will nit pick and never pay me. I am not going to be out all that money. At this point i feel like he will not pay me or pull something crazy. 

Am I crazy?   Don't cake people get paid in full before the event? I have never showed up to a wedding with a cake and not have been paid before. He said  "never in my life, have i heard of this ridiculousness.  I will pay you after the event when I pay everyone else."

what would you do? 

Someone suggested compromising and putting the money in a third party account. 

7 replies
Cher2309b Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 12:32am
post #2 of 8

I don't know the legalities of your situation; perhaps someone else does. 

I would be inclined to send a very polite and professional email to them summarising your original agreement and explaining the reason/s for the price  alteration. I would state that payment needs to be paid in full by ......... or you will be unable to proceed with the activity. I would repeat  the offer to refund the deposit if they choose to cancel the order by .........

The father sounds like a bully. If you can stay polite and professional at all times, allowing any verbal aggression to go over your head, then you maintain the higher ground. I would not enter into an argument with him. If necessary you can just (repeatedly?) repeat your explanation or tell him there is no point in continuing the discussion and remove yourself from it (whether that means walking away, hanging up the phone or discontinuing written communication.

I wish you good luck.

jason_kraft Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 12:44am
post #3 of 8

This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I recommend politely contacting the husband and letting him know that unfortunately you will not be able to do the party since he is not willing to make the final payment as per your written agreement (there is a written agreement, right?) and the deposit will be refunded.

Apti Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 1:02am
post #4 of 8

No money, no cake(ys). 

Basically, I second what Jason said above.  Even if you do not have a written agreement, you explained everything in full TWICE, to the wife and the husband.  If the husband refuses to pay you before the event, politely repeat the SAME EXACT SENTENCE WITH NO CHANGES WHATSOEVER several times, then state you will be refunding the deposit via (check?) whatever way you return deposits.

"Sir, I have never delivered  a cake or services without full payment prior to the event.  It is the baking industry standard to be paid in full prior to the event.   Since you do not wish to adhere to the original agreement, I will refund your entire deposit (by check, mail, electronic transfer) by _____________(time) ________(date).   I wish you well on your event."

Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 1:36am
post #5 of 8

I think your thought is correct that he will nitpick you to death and then not pay you.  Apti has given you exactly what you need.  In this situation I think even if he does pay up he's going to make sure you're miserable the whole time.  Keep us updated!

Jedi Knight Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 6:23am
post #6 of 8

No way I would do it now, under any circumstance.

Write a polite e-mail and reiterate your Ts&Cs, and give a full refund.

Then sit back and congratulate yourself for having dodged a bullet.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 8

i think i would cancel -- no way would i put up with that rudeness - if they are not going to pay for it and this is how he is acting now -- imagine what will happen after the event -- cancel -- bam

if the wife brings cash immediately you could reconsider -- even daughters of rude fathers should have a nice party --

but it's not your problem 

julia1812 Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 4:54am
post #8 of 8

Quote by @Jedi Knight on 22 hours ago

No way I would do it now, under any circumstance.

Write a polite e-mail and reiterate your Ts&Cs, and give a full refund.

Then sit back and congratulate yourself for having dodged a bullet.

Be happy you sniffed out the rotten egg!

You sound like a very nice person still considering to progress with the event. DON'T!

Quote by @%username% on %date%