Firm Chocolate Cake

Baking By bdinney_95 Updated 15 Mar 2015 , 10:30pm by bdinney_95

bdinney_95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdinney_95 Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 5

Hi. I'm just wondering if anyone has used the firm chocolate cake from this site? (Will post link at the end) I noticed it was created in 2010 so are these proportions what should be used for the smaller cake mixes? Or should they be adjusted? I like the idea of weighing out more cake mix to make it the 18.5 but that's just a lot of work and this cake is just for my sisters birthday. any suggestions would be great!

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/6963/firm-chocolate-cake

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5

no i can't say i've tried that exact one but i have made similar cakes and i don't know exactly when the cake mix contents shrank but that probably would work out with today's size cake mix -- since the shifting weight is not mentioned in the recipe it's probably designed for the 18.5 -- i'd just lop off an egg and short each ingredient a bit --

it should do ok even if you used the full complement of ingredients with the smaller cake mix -- the eggs will hold that all up -- you could pop in a quarter cup of flour and a tablespoon of cocoa for good measure -- either self rising or all purpose  --

best to you

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 5

Or just use Hershey's recipe.   Its pretty dense if that's what you are looking for. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 5

or make a melted ice cream cake -- more than easy peasy -- it's by anne byrn, the cake mix doctor but it's on epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/incredible-melted-ice-cream-cake-102834 --

you can use any kind of ice cream and cake mix you want and i have made the chocolate/chocolate and it's grand

now since the cake mixes are smaller you can eat a few bites of ice cream it's a win win!

i used this as the top layer with a brownie bottom cheesecake as the other layer for a groom's cake -- i needed something that would stand up to the density of the cheesecake and brownie for serving equilibrium -- it was fabulous

bdinney_95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bdinney_95 Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies everyone! I usually just add a box of pudding plus an extra egg to betty crocker. I am wanting to make a  firm cake as I am doing a barbie dress cake and the last time I did one I found the firmness to be okay (with the pudding and extra egg), but would like it a bit more firm. I'm thinking of following that recipe exactly but  just adding 3/4 cup sour cream instead, as like mentioned above, I have done the 15.5 oz cakes with 4 eggs plus pudding. Hoping it works out! It's for my sister so it doesn't have to be perfect ;) but I would like it to taste good. People always ask me where I get my recipe and don't believe I use betty crocker! So it's a bit scary adding sour cream when I never have before but I'll give it a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%