Chocolate Cake

Baking By remnant3333 Updated 16 Mar 2015 , 3:06pm by -K8memphis

remnant3333 Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 8

I made the Hershey's chocolate cake this weekend. I have seen many people speak about putting hot liquid coffee into the cake to make the chocolate taste better. I tried it this weekend and I hated the coffee taste in the cake. I thought it ruined the cake. Luckily, I only added half coffee and half water or I would have probably had to throw the whole cake away. The kids seemed to like it but they said they liked it better when I made it with just boiling water. 

How many people here have tried putting coffee in their chocolate cakes and did you notice a difference? One person  on another site said when they did it you would never be able to tell there was coffee in the cake.  That is why I gave it a try but I will never do that again!! I was just wondering what others thought about adding coffee?

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 8

i like coffee in some choco cakes but for that cake i would add maybe a quarter cup at most probably two to three tablespoons would be better or some coffee crystals dissolved in the liquid to equal a coupla tablespoons of coffee --

-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 6:06pm
post #3 of 8

but actually for this cake i'd put the coffee in the icing -- 1-2 T -- like you would add a nice generous amount of vanilla

FlourPots Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 8

I add instant coffee to the hot water for that recipe and I don't taste it at all...the batter smells pretty strong though...the first time I made it I was sure it was going to taste like coffee just because of the smell.

carmijok Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 8

I just use a cup of hot coffee.   Or a tsp of instant in the boiling water, whichever is handiest.  No strong coffee taste at all!  What brand of coffee did you use?

remnant3333 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 1:45am
post #6 of 8

I used about 1/2 cup hot coffee and 1/2 cup water. The coffee I used was Zilka & Co. Gourmet ground roast decaf coffee. Maybe I should have tried regular coffee instead of decaf. My husband can't drink the caffeine anymore. I made cupcakes for the kids across the street.   I only ate one and didn't care for it with the coffee in it. Could the caffeine free have affected the taste? Next time I will try it with regular coffee instead.

It could be that because I knew the coffee was in there that maybe it was all in my head thinking I did not like it. The kids went crazy eating them and I sent the rest left over to the family across the street. Next time I do chocolate icing I will try 1-2 tbsp instead of vanilla and try that in the icing. Thanks for your input.

julia1812 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 11:58am
post #7 of 8

I don't know this specific recipe, but I make a cappuccino cake where I use 50-100ml (1/4 to 1/2 cup?) of espresso or hot water with instant coffee to soak the layers. It tastes delicious and always goes down well, even with kids. 

Maybe the recipe you use has to much dark chocolate (85% plus) in it already, which has a slightly bitter taste. Then the coffee would enhence the bitterness only which is surely unplesant.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 3:06pm
post #8 of 8

i use the coffee and the vanilla -- it's ok to use the decaf -- sometimes i use flavored coffee -- cherry coffee is great in there --

coffee as a full ingredient works better i think in texas sheet cake type cakes that have the sour cream which helps balance/tone down the coffee better -- coffee with cream... and chocolate --

hope you like it better 

best to you, remnant

Quote by @%username% on %date%