Petal Ruffle Cake Question

Decorating By MissyTex Updated 19 Mar 2015 , 10:35pm by LeanneW

MissyTex Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 2:30am
post #1 of 5

I've seen tutorials on this but none of them really explain or show how the petals stay on the cake without drooping.

I have cut a few petals with my five petal rose cutter, 1/2 fondant 1/2 gum paste, folded them and they droop over on themselves.  Do I need to let them sit a bit before I fold them?  Also, will they break when they dry and are hanging on the cake?  I would appreciate any advice from anyone who has done a cake like this.  Thanks!

4 replies
Lizzybug78 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 10:10am
post #2 of 5

Hi, really you need all flower paste (gumpaste), not a mix. It needs to be able to dry faster than the addition of sugarpaste will allow. 

Cut your petals out  using just the flower paste, shape them, then allow them to sit for a while until they will hold their shape enough for you to attach them. 

Sugarflowers are delicate, but once they are stuck on there shouldn't be enough movement on this particular design for any/much damage to occur. Also, this  design has enough going on that  it would be pretty unlikely that you'd spot it anyway :)  

julia1812 Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 11:51am
post #3 of 5

Hey, that's funny. Just watch a youtube video showing the exact same technique just minutes ago:

In the video the flowers are a bit droopy, that's the look. I wouldn't use only gumpaste, they dry too much and are a) unedible and b) more likely to brake. You can see in the video that she actually keeps coming back to the flowers and pushing them up as they dry on the cake. Also, when you glue the top penal on with water/ edible glue, they won't "hang" too much.

But haven't tried this myself, so this is only what i would do if...

Good luck!

MissyTex Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advice and the great tutorial, ladies!  I played around with it and just figured it out my way.  I just posted a photo.  I only have a 5 petal rose cutter.  I didn't thin or frill the edges and I didn't do double blossoms.  It's the double blossom that gets the look. With hindsight and that tutorial I think my next try will turn out better.

LeanneW Posted 19 Mar 2015 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%