Banana For!

Decorating By LilDvL Updated 15 Mar 2015 , 7:22pm by -K8memphis

LilDvL Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

I'm very much a novice cake decorator and my boyfriends asked me to make a cake for her daughters birthday. I'm pretty sure I can pull off this cake except for the banana....would you just use fondant or gum paste and shape it into a banana? Not sure how to form the peels so they dry and hold their shape. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
LilDvL Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 1:19am
post #2 of 6

Shoot...I tried attaching photo but it didn't show up :(

johnson6ofus Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 2:53am
post #3 of 6

can always use "runts" if you need little ones

julia1812 Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 5:46am
post #4 of 6

If it's a small banana I would use fondant mixed with a bit of CMC or gumtex (500g fondant and 1 tsp CMC). If it's a big banana use RKT (Rice crispy treats mixed with melted marshmallows) and then cover in yellow fondant (mix with CMC for the peel to stiffen).

-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 6

i would use fondant mixed with cornstarch -- it's cheaper and works great -- but you'll need to make a form of some kind to dry it in so it dries without changing shape -- or figure out a way to hang it to dry

-K8memphis Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 6

sounds like it's a partially peeled banana maybe -- you can lay some of the peels back over a rolled piece of aluminum foil while it dries in the shape you want -- foil will allow you to roll them the exact size and length you need to succeed and they  won't squish down like a paper towel might-- and dust the foil lightly with cornstarch for best results -- they will still release if you forget the cornstarch -- just a little insurance --

you might want to leave tails on the rolled up foil to prevent the peels from looking too rounded like they had a roll of foil in there -- it would hold the shape better -- just depends on how stiff you get your fondant --

and i suggest that you consider using fondant so it can be eaten -- if you wanted you could flavor it with a raspberry oil or maybe even a banana flavored oil -- kids love to eat that stuff 

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%