Hi I Need Some Advice About Stacking Tiers With This Recipe Please :)

Baking By JakesMummy Updated 15 Mar 2015 , 6:45pm by JakesMummy

JakesMummy Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hi I'm fairly new to cake decorating and I've only made single tier cakes before. I've been asked to make a 3 tier cake for a friends birthday and I'm nervous. I've been advised to weigh my eggs and whatever the weight add the same amount of butter, sugar and flour. However my question is, would my cakes be ok to stack if I make my cake in that way? I'm already having nightmares about the cake collapsing. 

6 replies
winniemog Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 7

That's a pretty stable cake recipe - you won't have any trouble stacking it . I don't love the texture of that cake though, perhaps it's in my execution, but I find the texture a little coarse/open, so it doesn't eat as well as other cakes. It's a fine cake to start practising stacking with, although I wouldn't be feeding it to customers.

JakesMummy Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks very much for your advice. What could I do to the recipe to improve the texture?

JakesMummy Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 7

I've used betty crocker box mix the vanilla one with a couple of previous cakes. Would that be ok to stack?

The only problem I find with the BC mix is it seems a bit too moist which may have something to do with the amount of oil I add (I mix two boxes)

winniemog Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 7

I haven't used a mix. There are lots of good vanilla cake recipes on here so try a search. When it comes to stacking, it's more about the support system you use than the cake itself. I use dowels but a lot of people swear by SPS (try a search for this too).

kakeladi Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 7

............I've used betty crocker box mix the vanilla one with a couple of previous cakes. Would that be ok to stack?..........only problem I find with the BC mix is it seems a bit too moist........

I had 2 different bakeries and used BC for all my cakes.  They are not too moist to stack.  Take a look thru my pictures. BTW: I *never* use oil in my BC cakes - no need :)

We had a poster on here back awhile ago who often said one could stack tiers of whipped cream or jello because  it's all in the proper use of the support system NOT  in what is being stacked.

Make sure each *layer* of cake is level so your tier will be level.  That is the key :)  Use a good plate & dowel/leg system - it can be  Wilton plates & legs or SPS.  Doweling is important - how much and where it's placed.    It would be helpful to you to study the many YouTube posts on the proper way to tier cakes :)

JakesMummy Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks very much to you both for your great advice.

Kakeladi.. what do you use instead of oil in the BC mixes?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%