Flat Cupcakes

Baking By SugarBuzzCC Updated 28 Jan 2016 , 9:55pm by sharonsamazingcakes

SugarBuzzCC Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 1:41am
post #1 of 6

Hi all!  I'm new to Cake Central, and have a question.  I am a doctored-mix baker.  All of my clients love how moist and flavorful my cupcakes are.  However, I've noticed that I do not have nice, rounded tops like I want.  Of course, you can't tell it once frosted, but it drives me crazy!  One thing I have noticed, though, is that if I'm using a recipe with an extender (1/4 cup flour, 1 tbsp sugar and 1/4 tsp baking powder), my cupcakes always seem to have a rounder top.  I would like to accomplish that even when a recipe doesn't require an extender.  If I add 1/4 tsp baking powder to my batter (no extra flour or sugar), would it help them rise better and achieve that rounded top?  I look forward to your suggestions!  :)

5 replies
julia1812 Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 4:06am
post #2 of 6

I don't know how to work with a box mix, so am of no help there. But I have different recipes - for flat and round tops. Depending on what I need them for, I choose between the recipe. A fondant gum paste topper f.e. goes better with a flat top...

Meatcake Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 3:13am
post #3 of 6

I'd be cautious about adding more baking powder, even a bit too much can leave a metallic taste. What you can try is bake them at a higher temp to start and then drop the temp midway, I start mine at 375 or even 400 degrees (if using my jumbo cupcake pan) for the first 5 to 6 minutes them drop the temperature down to 325 to finish, and always get a nice domed top.

remnant3333 Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 3:35am
post #4 of 6

They downsized the cake mix boxes. People who I know that use them tell me they don't get 24 cupcakes anymore out of a box mix. It makes sense that you wouldn't get as many since they don't put as much cake mix in them.  I started making them from scratch. Others that I know use the cake extender as you do which would make it fuller and rounder for cupcakes.  I used to love doctored up cake mixes before they downsized them.  Maybe trying what Meatcake suggested will work for you. Good luck!!

Apti Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 5:36am
post #5 of 6

Remnant3333~~I am sad with you.  A gazillion bakers who have used doctored box mixes are sad......

SugarBuzz~~Try adding the additions to all of your doctored box recipes and see what happens.

sharonsamazingcakes Posted 28 Jan 2016 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 6

I found the following tip about 3 years ago on a cake baking website and found that it works great for giving me round top cupcakes whether it's a scratch recipe or an adjusted cake mix recipe:

1. Increased the oven temperature by about 50F more than the required baking temperature during the preheat stage

2. Once the cupcakes are added to the oven, immediately reduce the oven temperature to the required bake temperature & continue baking as normal

The hotter oven rounds the tops. You may have to adjust your baking time however. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%