Coloring Pebbles/cobblestone

Decorating By overture Updated 13 Mar 2015 , 10:01pm by -K8memphis

overture Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 3:03am
post #1 of 8

I am making a "well" cake (like in New Testament times).  I have a pebble-type impression mat I am going to use on gray fondant (or possibly light brown/sand color), but I wanted to add some additional color, as the rocks they used to make the well were all different colors.  I don't have an airbrush.  Any ideas on the best way to accomplish this?  Thanks for your help!

7 replies
overture Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 3:05am
post #2 of 8

Just thought of this: maybe start with a sand color, then marble with black, brown, yellow, then roll it out and use the mat?  Would that look too weird?

SweetCakesByAZ Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 5:46am
post #3 of 8

Hi overture-

From your first post, it sounds like you’d like to paint some of the ‘stones’ the impression mat creates; from your second, it sounds like you’re considering adding more stones that are different colors around the main piece of fondant, on the ground next to the ‘well.’ If I have that right, here are two suggestions…

For adding more stones, I agree with you and think marbling would look odd, unless its more like very small pieces, like gravel, that are different colors; still, Im not sure if that would look good. Instead, you could try adding a bit of extra black or white fondant into the fondant and knead it all the way so it just adjusts the shade/tint of the original colorit will take a few minutes, and if you have a pasta/clay machine that would speed things up. If you want multiple colors you could take part of the newly adjusted color and add more white or black, etc, and repeat.

Alternatively, I think it would be easier, and look better, if you paint the existing piece of fondant. You dont have an airbrush (me neither : ) but I assume you have gel or paste colors, hopefully in black or brown (if not, you could mix  1 part blue:1 part yellow:1 part red to get it).

Here are a  Craftsy and a Wilton link that might be helpful (in case those links dont lead you to the sites, here they are: Craftsy ( and Wilton (

From personal experience, I prefer Americolor, which is great because you can paint right from the bottle. If you have the Wilton colors, those links mention ways to thin them, but I’ll add 2 more, which are the ways I use:

1) if you have glycerin (Wilton sells it in a very small bottleNOT glucose), add a bit and stir right into the Wilton color container-thing; repeat until you get the right consistency, a fluid gel that you can use to paint right from the bottle.

2) Or, and I think this is THE BEST OPTION of all the ideas I mentioned above, if you have white food color, either regular or ‘candy color,’ you can actually make your gel colors become opaque, like pastel colors—and I think that will give you the best grey, since you can easily adjust play with different shades.

Hope I was clear! WOW, sorry, this ended up being SO LONG! But I know when I ask for help the more info people include in their answers, the better! Good Luck!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 12:17pm
post #4 of 8

wow sweetcakesbyaz great post --

another idea is to brush various powdered colors on there including cocoa

-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 12:50pm
post #5 of 8

i know you only asked about varying colors but i thought of something for you possibly for this cake or for one going forward -- if in advance of rolling out your cobblestone fondant you make a few lumps of fondant the same size as some of the cobblestones and place them under the fondant -- either line them up with some of the cobblestones or just wing it -- then you can also give a touch of depth to some of them by outlining the lumps after you smooth it out -- would work better if it's larger cobblestones -- just a random thought to give the stones some texture/depth roundness --

might not work so well with your impression mat -- idk -- random thought

SweetCakesByAZ Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 8

One last thought that came to me just before I fell asleep last night… : )

They make little chocolate candy stones/rocks, and at least where I live, they aren’t hard to find. So you could actually ‘build’ the ‘well,' using buttercream or better yet, royal icing as clay/cement in between the ‘stones.'

...Just an idea. Would love to see how the cake turn out!

Best of Luck!

Link to pic of chocolate stones (they’re also really yummy!):

Also, just found that there are jelly bean ‘rocks,’ but I’ve never tried them, so can’t vouch for them:

overture Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much, SweetCakesByAZ and K8Memphis!  Those are some great suggestions!  My original thought was to use luster dust, but I don't want it shiny.  I'll take a closer look at our craft store tomorrow to see if they have anything non-luster.  Cocoa is a great idea!  I also love the idea of the chocolate rocks, and putting lumps underneath the fondant to give it depth/dimension!  I just called our local cake store and they do carry Americolor gel, so I'll look into that as well.  Agh, now to decide what to do!  I guess I'll decide before Thursday (day of event)!  I'll definitely post a picture once it's done.  Thank you again for all of your great input! 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 10:01pm
post #8 of 8

petal dust and powdered food color is matte

can't wait for pictures 

don't sample the chocolate rocks before you use them or buy extra because sweetcakesbyaz is right they are irresistabley delicious -- i have an incureable sweet tooth

Quote by @%username% on %date%