Help! Need Advice For Moto Helmet

Decorating By minicoopermel Updated 11 Mar 2015 , 6:48pm by -K8memphis

minicoopermel Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 8

Have have to do a moto helmet next week and I'm having trouble figuring out how to make the cake overhang. IDK how else to explain it. the sun shield basically.   I know that it's just fondant but I'm not sure has to how to dry it while it's attached to the cake. Any tips or tricks?!  

I need it for about 15 people and I'm going to use 8" round pans and carve. 

ANY tip and tricks or advice would be awesome. 

7 replies
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 8

dry it in advance of putting it on the cake -- find something like the side of an upturned bowl -- or use theinside of it -- maybe a casserole dish or soup turreen or whatever -- just fashion some aluminum foil -- i just looked over at my 12 qt mixer bowl which would make a perfect 'mold' to dry it on -- 15 servings is going to be a mini helmet -- prime it with a dusting of cornstarch so it loosens without stressing you out -- 

i'd add/knead in a lot of cornstarch to it so it sets up nice -- but i applaud you for going with fondant because people like to eat all the parts of a sculpture like that --

best to you

post #3 of 8

dry it in advance of putting it on the cake -- find something like the side of an upturned bowl -- or use theinside of it -- maybe a casserole dish or soup turreen or whatever -- just fashion some aluminum foil -- i just looked over at my 12 qt mixer bowl which would make a perfect 'mold' to dry it on -- 15 servings is going to be a mini helmet -- prime it with a dusting of cornstarch so it loosens without stressing you out -- 

i'd add/knead in a lot of cornstarch to it so it sets up nice -- but i applaud you for going with fondant because people like to eat all the parts of a sculpture like that --

best to you

post #4 of 8

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 8

oops the 500 error spoofed me -- sorry i tried to delete but no soap

minicoopermel Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 8

Ok so I've never used cornstarch before for fondant. I've always just used powered sugar. Should I switch? Cornstarch make it harden fast or not crack as much sometimes?

I've also never used gumpaste. lol I'm def a newbie, since November 2014! :)

Thanks for the advice!

minicoopermel Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 8

Ok so I've never used cornstarch before for fondant. I've always just used powered sugar. Should I switch? Cornstarch make it harden fast or not crack as much sometimes?

I've also never used gumpaste. lol I'm def a newbie, since November 2014! :)

Thanks for the advice!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 8

that's what i use to make things i want people to eat, f + cs -- gum paste is edible but it's not pleasant to eat too crunchy -- but fondant + cornstarch even dried hard is more like a crisp chewy candy  -- i've said this a zilliion times here but i had to make a nurse's cap with no time as in zero to let it set up and dry so i kneaded in a boatload of cornstarch and it just sat up perfect --

a lot of people like to use tylose to firm up their fondant and that  works great -- but cornstarch is cheaper and easier to come by -- i save my tylose for... actually i've saved it forever i rarely ever use it because cornstarch works for me -- and if i use gum paste i just mix that up and use it --

adding some raspberry flavor oil is a real hit especially with making rose petals to scatter around a cake on the table --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%