Freeze After Carving Undecorated

Decorating By MrsHoff Updated 11 Mar 2015 , 9:59pm by -K8memphis

MrsHoff Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:45am
post #1 of 7

Hi fellow decorators.

quick question. I always freeze my cakes after baking and then carve later. My question... is can i chill my cake enough after making it to carve it the same day... and THEN freeze ready for a cake due a week later?

I have 4 big cakes coming up and would love to get the carving out of the way of one of them now and then decorate closer to the day. 

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 11:38am
post #2 of 7

sure you can

TheresaCarol Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 7

Lauren Kitchens always does and she does ALOT of sculpted cakes.  She only chills it for 10-15 minutes but she uses a butter based buttercream so it sets faster.

minicoopermel Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 7

The cakes won't dry out in the freezer or refrigerate them?

-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 7

the freezer suspends life/health of the cake the fridge dries it out -- but what i do is bake in advance to order and freeze my filled cakes -- then as i ice and decorate i store them in the fridge but they are sealed inside the icing at this point and it's only a day or two -- 

for freezing -- i double wrap with plastic wrap then slide them into those reynolds baking bags like you can cook your turkey in -- i use those because i know they are food safe and re-useable too -- if it's a massive tier i can tape two together --

i freeze cakes filled because i want to eliminate all the messiness of stacking up layers and cutting things level -- when i whip them out of the freezer all i have to do is ice and game on -- no big crumby sticky messes to deal with -- a zen thing maybe ? hahaha

MrsHoff Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 7

thanks! Would i Sculpt. Crumbcoat and then freeze or just sculpt it, freeze it and then crumb coat it and decorate closer to the party? 

* the party is the end of april, I am hoping to actually make and carve the cake a week or two in advance so all i have to do is assemble and decorate. 

-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 7

i don't usually ever crumb coat before i freeze them -- but just for the record there are 10,001 different ways to do this -- so this is not the only way by any means -- just saying

Quote by @%username% on %date%