Looking For Advice!

Lounge By eddiep Updated 17 Mar 2015 , 9:55pm by mycentral01

eddiep Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:13am
post #1 of 5

My son is getting married on Labor Day!  They have asked me to make the wedding cake and a rustic themed dessert table. I am excited and nervous by this request. I LOVE to do dessert tables for friends and family but I have never done anything with so many guests. They have invited around 80 people and the parties I have done are typically around 30 guests.  Is there a standard number of treats (cupcakes, cake pops, mini pies, mini cheese cakes etc) per guest?  I don't think I need to do 80 of every treat do I?

4 replies
CoveredinGrace Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:54am
post #2 of 5

I used to do catering and I still reference this site as a reminder when doing big parties. It is kind of amazing. http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/teaparty.html

TheresaCarol Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 5

I have catered a few with this many guests and have found that no matter how well you think you have planned, you will never be able to guess the correct amounts.  However, I have grown up with the "too much is better than not enough" mentality so I tend to go overboard.  Depending on what desserts I choose and the cost, I may do one for each person.  The more complicated/fancier/expensive desserts I tend to half.  It all depends on who is invited (age, demographics, etc.).  I normally have at least 3 desserts with the invited guest number than the others I vary.  Congratulations on your son's marriage and I do hope this will be an enjoyable day for you and not a stressful one.

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 5

A dessert table for 80 is going to be very large.  I agree with TheresaCarol, I would allow 3 small desserts per person, so 240 small desserts + wedding cake + some store-bought fillers like hersey kisses, marshmallows (things you dont have to make and can stay stored in the box until set up time).  You can have as much variety in that 240 pieces as you can handle, but the more variety, the more work.  So you might choose 4-5 treats and make 30-50 of each until you get to 240 treats.

I would choose as many recipes that can be made 2 weeks in advance (ie cookies).  Keep in mind how much fridge space you will need for your chosen items.  Anything last minute is to be avoided - remember you are honored guest Mother of Groom, not the behind the scenes caterer, so your time on the day and day prior are needed for the groom & guests, and you should not be slaving away in the kitchen. 

Best wishes to the bride & groom :-)

mycentral01 Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 5

I am starting a little home based business ..my question is how much do I charge for cakes..comparing to bakeries. 

I use a lot of fondant and I know it is expensive.  How do I know how to start off with getting my name out there. and how much is to little and to much. 

also Im looking for a frosting or icing for a wedding cake.  not sure which one to use..to make a nice smooth finish someone said they used Martha stewart but cannot find it.  I need a drying frosting or icing. please help.

any advice is welcome.

signed

big piece or little piece. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%