Need To Fix My Vanilla Cake Recipe

Baking By MandiRose28 Updated 11 Mar 2015 , 1:16pm by yortma

MandiRose28 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 5

I started using this recipe about 7 years ago, and it was perfect for the first 5 years. I got compliments on it all the time. It always turned out moist, fluffy, and beautiful. Now when I make it, it either has the texture of cornbread, contains gluey little ball of flour, or it seems like the sugar floats to the top and gets caramelized.

I used to melt the butter completely and also add an extra 1/4 c. of milk. I also used to use a hand mixer.

Two years ago I switched to a Kitchen Aid stand mixer and a new house with a different oven, and the cake still turned out perfectly the first couple of times.  The last few times I've followed the recipe exactly, including only softening the butter, but the results are still more misses than hits.

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? What's to blame- the recipe, bad ingredients, my modifications, or my equipment?

I'm so grateful for any insights- I miss my perfect recipe! Thanks! 

Yellow Cake

2 1/2
2 1/2
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon salt
cup butter or margarine
1 3/4
cups sugar
1 1/2
teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4
cups milk

1. Grease and lightly flour two 8x1-1/2-inch or 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans or grease one 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set pan(s) aside. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each. Add dry mixture and milk alternately to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just till combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan(s).
  3. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Cool layer cakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove layer cakes from pans. Cool thoroughly on racks. Or, place 13x9-inch cake in pan on a wire rack; cool thoroughly. Frost with desired frosting. Makes 12 servings. 

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 5

your recipe looks fine to me --

i would recommend beating your sugar butter longer -- several minutes till it looks fluffy -- after getting the eggs in i always beat that mixture for several minutes on about speed 4-5 until it looks super smoothy smooth smooth -- you really want to wind out the power of the eggs -- then after the batter is made i beat it for 2 minutes on the timer on about speed 4 or 5 after all the powder & liquid goes in -- which is why i never separate the eggs to then whip/fold them in --

just an aside for a nice change -- switch to buttermilk maybe 1 cup plus the 1/4 cup of milk -- buttermilk is a super emulsion maker --

random cake recipe thoughts for you -- hope you get it all worked out -- isn't it amazing how recipes can wax and wane on you like that -- 

best to you

julia1812 Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 4:58am
post #3 of 5

Sounds almost like the recipe i'm using.
But I add plain yoghurt instead of milk. You can just replace the milk in equal amount. And I use vanilla sugar (which only makes a difference in taste!).

yortma Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with the above posters that the amounts look appropriate, although all of my recipes use more eggs - closer to 3 eggs for that amount of flour.   Beat the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy - at least 3 to 5 minutes.  Mix in the eggs one at a time and mix well after each.  Be sure and mix your dry ingredients well before adding so the baking powder is evenly distributed.  I use a whisk or shake it in a sealed tupperware type container.  Add in 3 increments alternating with until just combined.  Make sure your baking powder is fresh.  Is everything else baking well (thinking of oven temp issues)?  HTH.  

THis is my favorite yellow cake, by Toba Garrett.  I use softasilk cake flour, and measure everything by weight.  I hope something works for you.

yortma Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 5

Oops - no edit button should be add in 3 increments alternating with liquid just until combined!

Quote by @%username% on %date%