Smbc....but I'm An Indydebi Kinda Gal!!! Help!!!

Decorating By sweettooth88 Updated 11 Mar 2015 , 7:10pm by sweettooth88

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 8

I found these awesome flowers i want to make. However, they say its best to use SMBC. I love and only use Indydebi's recipe (God bless her soul!)

Heck i may just be a rebel and try it with my normal version, or I might have to step outside of my box!!!

Any suggestions, hints, tricks or tips for making and using SMBC???

7 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 8

You should just try and use your own buttercream, I don't know why you would have to use SMBC - and I'm an SMBC girl!  But if you want to give it a whirl:

https://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 8

Don't know what kind of flower you could possibly be making that would be at all affected by the type of bc.  Use what you're comfortable with.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 8

There are some sites that say you "have to" do things one way or another, but there are many ways to skin a cat. Not that I want to skin any cats. Just try it with your regular buttercream, because meringue buttercreams tend to be difficult to pipe with since they have a lower melting point. If you have hot hands the icing will soften as you hold the bag and it can make it too soupy to hold the shape of whatever you're piping.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 12:54am
post #5 of 8

Sweettooth88~~Here Here on the "bless you, Indydebi" sentiment!

After 5 years, I finally got around to making a batch of lemon SMBC.  I was expecting heaven on a cupcake, but .....  The SMBC was great, no question, however, I've also made lemon buttercream that was also great. 

I suggest that you practice making the different flavors with your existing recipe BEFORE trying anything new.  Then, when you DO try SMBC, you'll be able to tell the difference between the two types of frosting.

What ARE the "new" flavors you want to try? 

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 2:10am
post #6 of 8

I love indydebi's buttercream as well! After seeing so many great cake pictures with SMBC I got tempted to give it a try. Martha Stewart's recipe is really the easiest and simplest to follow. It has come out great every time for me (knock on wood lol). 

http://www.marthastewart.com/353415/swiss-meringue-buttercream

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 3:32am
post #7 of 8

by @costumeczar on 4 hours ago

there are many ways to skin a cat. 

I absolutely agree, try and pipe with @indydebi's BC. I think you'll have similar, maybe even better results. SMBC is softer than crusting BC, if you have any issues with jagged petals, try and thin the BC a bit to make more similar to the soft texture of SMBC.

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all of the support. Ill post pictures and the differences I have found when my experiment is complete!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%