Fondant Border Trouble!

Decorating By CakeAffair22 Updated 10 Mar 2015 , 12:41am by CakeAffair22

CakeAffair22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAffair22 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 7:40am
post #1 of 7

Hey everyone,  I am having so much trouble making a ruffle fondant border around the bottom of my cake. I roll out the thin pieces of fondant then when I roll my pointy stick tool (idk what the technical name is) to ruffle it, it either rips or just lays flat. Nothing ruffle like about it. I'm so frustrated, I tried for like an hour at least to get a ruffle and nothing!! Please help if you can! Thanx xoxo

P.S.- I'm trying to make the ruffle border like the one on this cake. http://pinterest.com/pin/123356477265298184/?s=3&m=messaging

6 replies
kathryn_NZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathryn_NZ Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 7:51am
post #2 of 7

You need to first of all, roll out a large thin piece of gumpaste in your desired colour. Cut a large circle with the largest cutter you have, even using something like a 6" cake tin, as long a the edge is sharp enough to cut it.  Then using a smaller circle cutter, cut inside the circle, the ring left behind should be about 2cm thick. Cut the ring open now so you have a long concave strip. Using a ball tool and thin piece of foam, gently thin the outer edge so it ruffles slightly. When you have done the whole piece, it will ruffle more when you attempt to stretch it out straight. Use a little corn startch if its sticking or ripping. The secret is the concave shape you get when you cut the initial circle shape, which makes the bottom have more "mass" to ruffle up than the top. You will need 2-3 of these strips to complete that cake. I hope that makes sense, very hard to explain in writing! 

Ps, if you use the toothpick method, the frills will be quite different, smaller and finer than the example you posted. Good luck :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 11:00am
post #3 of 7

Making frills takes patience. Make sure your work surface is dusted in cornstarch (as mentioned above). You can either start with a ring or a stripe cut evenly with a pizza or border cutter.

I like using the opposite end of a brush or a skewer (depending how big the pieces are). Only work in small sections. Place the end of your brush (not the hairy site, the handle end!) about 2/3 in a 90' angle on the fondant stripe. Now roll the handle 2-3 times backwards and forwards, gently applying pressure. If the pressure is not enough, you won't get ruffles, if it's too much pressure or you roll over an already done section again, it'll tear. If you feel that the handle of your brush is sticking to your fondant, dust with cornstarch.

Good luck!

nikki1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1227 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 7

Ruffles And Gumpaste Flowers         These ruffles were done using the ball tool. I cut strips of fondant then "pull" out the ruffles. It was much easier for me then using a stick.                                                 

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 7

Yes you definitely need to use gumpaste and not fondant to make ruffles. At least  50:50 mix of fondant and gumpaste in order for it to work. Good luck!

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 7

It is perfectly possible to make frills out of fondant.  I found that the trick to getting it looking very ruffled is to not roll it too thin in the first place - this means that when you use your tool over it there is more to squish out into the ruffle.

CakeAffair22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAffair22 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 12:41am
post #7 of 7

Thank you all so much!! I'm gonna try it again in a little bit with all of yalls advice! I am so thankful that yall answered my Question! I'll let yall know if I can it right lol

Xoxo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%