Edible Ink Printer Frustrations!

Decorating By ashleykay07 Updated 3 Apr 2015 , 6:08pm by icingimages

ashleykay07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleykay07 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 12:18am
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone! I recently purchased a Canon Pixma MG5520. I ordered my ink off ebay, which therein I believe is my issue (should have ordered kopykake). I also ordered some wafer paper. I set everything up and ran my first print. It came out looking weird. I did some couple more practice runs with changing out my printer settings. It still came out weird. I thought hmm, maybe I should order icing sheets and see if that is my problem. Icing sheets came in and I ran a couple prints. They still looked weird. Here is a couple I tried to do today. I figure I am going to have to just order new ink, but would like people's thoughts.

Icing Sheet - PhotobucketWafer Paper - PhotobucketWhat I was going for

7 replies
kathryn_NZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathryn_NZ Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 7:39am
post #2 of 8

Ouch yes I see what you mean, the black is a bit washed out. Could be the ink, I myself use a cheaper brand too, mainly because kopykake quoted me a ridiculous over the top postage price to New Zealand for 2 packets of paper ($150 postage), and I find its totally fine as long as I use the printer at least once a week, to keep the heads clean. Was the print quality the same when you first got the printer? If it's the same I'd say its definitely the ink. If it's deteriorated over time, it's your print heads. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 11:56am
post #3 of 8

I had trouble printing on icing sheets until we figured out that you have to use the photo quality setting on them to make it look right. I have a Canon MG5550 (I think) so it's similar to yours.

ashleykay07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleykay07 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 12:38pm
post #4 of 8

@kathryn_NZ   Yea, it has been the same since I got the printer. I will just have to order more ink. Yay. v.v What brand ink did you order or what supplier? @costumeczar  I will try that and see what happens. I just hate to keep wasting the icing sheets when it's not turning out the way it should. Those are a bit pricey.

kathryn_NZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathryn_NZ Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 8

I use http://www.inkedibles.com for both my ink and paper and have been really happy with their products and service (and postage!) Here's a tip, when you're playing round with trying to get the colours right, just use plain paper as test runs before using your expensive edible paper :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 8

I got my ink from Icing Images. I print on wafer paper, and I figured out the cost of each sheet is less than $1 based on the number of prints I got out of it before I had to refill one of the cartridges. You should keep track and see how much the real cost of each sheet is, because it's probably not as bad as you think it is!

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 14 Mar 2015 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 8

All ink is not the same and you do get what you pay for.  Costumeczar, thank you for being a customer of ours.  Make sure your settings are correct for your ink.  Different companies should have recommended settings for their inks. Also, make sure that all of your cartridges inks are flowing through the printhead.  You can do this by going in to the maintenance sections and print a nozzle check on regular paper and follow the directions.  If you are a customer of Icing Images, then go to our website at http://www.icingimages.com/edible-ink-support  You will need to sign in to your account to access the free support sections.  We are also always happy to help you at Monday through Friday, 9-5 est at 540 869 5511  If you have specific question I will be glad to answer them as accurately as I can.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 3 Apr 2015 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 8

You do need to make sure that you do choose the correct printers.  Icing Images prides ourselves on quality products and quality service.  We have been using the Canon printers for 15 years.  We have worked with other brands for very short periods of time because of problems associated with other models. The latest version allows you to pull the icing sheet from a bottom feeder rather which curls the icing sheet. The older Canons pulled the icing sheets from the back of the printer.  If you use quality icing sheets you will be able to use the printer successfully with out problem.  We have used this type of printer that pulls from the bottom tray SUCCESSFULLY for several years now.  Quality does bring good results.  Quality ingredients in inks are just as important. Adding proper preservatives no matter whether you have a sponge/wick or not inside your cartridge does not matter as bacteria can grow anywhere.  It does not need a sponge to grow, but again, adding proper preservative prevents that sponge.  Not having a sponge inside your cartridge doesn't prevent it. Proper food safe preservatives also prevent color changes in inks. That is why they are in the ink to avoid problems with chemical reactions and color changes. If you really want to find out the superiority of products, ask for samples, and ask for recommendations from people on the forum.

Icing Images
[email protected]
www.icingimages.com
.fa
cebook.com/icingimages

Recipient of the 2015 Sweet Life Hall of Fame Award

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2015/03/prweb12612582.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%