Jello Poke Wedding Cake?

Baking By Marla505 Updated 10 Mar 2015 , 8:48pm by -K8memphis

Marla505 Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! I have had a bride request her 3 tier wedding cake to be a Jello Poke Cake. I know what that is but have never made one. I imagine this cake would be too soft to turn out of the pan, frost with buttercream and stack as a 3 tier. I also wonder if it would weep?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

10 replies
Jedi Knight Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 11

What in the world is 'jello poke cake'?

Natka81 Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 11

Quote by @Jedi Knight on 33 minutes ago

What in the world is 'jello poke cake'?

Natka81 Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 11

Bake a cake.poke holes and fill with jello.

Jedi Knight Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 11

No effin' way!!! That is just so nasty! Are there really people who actually eat that?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 11

i might do a groom's cake like this but not a tier cake -- that's just me though -- i've never turned one out of the pan -- just served it family style --

it could definitely be possible though if you want to do the testing on it -- i don't think it would weep because the cake part should keep it 'solid' -- even room temp jello is 'solid' -- have to be careful with keeping it in refrigeration -- and i'd go lighter on the jello but it could certainly be possible -- also you're gonna wanna watch out for the layers slipping -- but it's probably very doable maybe :)

manddi Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 2:50am
post #7 of 11

With the right support system anything can be tiered: flan, cheesecake, even jello. 

Marla505 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 7:22pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the input! Every recipe I see has it frosted in Cool Whip. Is there any reason I couldn't use buttercream instead?

-K8memphis Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 11

that's where i'd say you want to do your homework and make sure the combination does not produce weeping or seeping -- imagine icing jello with powdered sugar buttercream -- i don't know what would happen but a swiss meringue buttercream might hold up better if the other one doesn't work -- i've never iced one though don't know -- i mean i haven't made one in eons -- and again doing a lighter application of the jello in my mind would work out better -- just a thought -- then there's bettercream too that's a whipped icing -- tons of possibilities

MandiRose28 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 8:39pm
post #10 of 11

I tired to make this for my husband for our wedding, but didn't ask my mom for directions. I added a small bit of water to the Jello mix, and poured it over the already baked cake, into which I had poked holes. My husband said the texture was terrible- Jello with crumbs.

Later, my mom told me I was supposed to simply put dry Jello Mix over the unbaked cake, and poke holes into the batter to get the flavor to sink in. From what she told me, it doesn't affect the integrity of the cake, just adds bits of color and flavor.

Good luck! 

-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 11

the way i made it was bloom/prepare the jello per the instructions and pour it over the cake that's been poked with holes to allow it to absorb -- then it needs time to set up as jello -- maybe you should check with the bride on how she expects it to be

Quote by @%username% on %date%