Carousel Help

Decorating By vzak Updated 8 Mar 2015 , 5:09pm by vzak

vzak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vzak Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 10:32am
post #1 of 3

HI I'm planning on making a farm themed carousel cake for my daughters birthday,

I'm not sure exactly how to assemble the actual carousel. i don't have dowels (can't find theme where i live) but i do have 6 inch cake pop sticks I planned on using them for the 3d animals (instead of horses) but they won't be long enough to stick through the cake. my idea was to make a 1 inch rkt round disc covered in fondant on a thin cake board and have the sticks sticking through that. not sure if it would work as I can only stick them in before it hardens (meaning I have to work around the animals to place the fondant) and worried it won't give enough support for the sticks and the carousel top which im planning on it being rkt also.  

any ideas?

2 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 3

A dowel is a wooden stick. Home Depot and Lowe's carry them in lumber. Some hobby stores also carry them. I can't imagine not being able to get some with enough notice.

It's hard to say if you have enough support if you don't list the size of the carousel. The diameter of the top with the weight of the RKT and fondant on top will probably be too much for cake pop sticks. Besides, wouldn't you want the whole 6" of the stick exposed as the distance between the top and bottom?

vzak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vzak Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 3

thanks for your reply, actually I live overseas that's why i couldn't find them, but I did find thick 13 inch bamboo skewers that might do the trick, i might just have to shorten them a bit. 

the diameter of the carousel is going to be 10 inchs and will have about a 3 or 4 inch diameter tube in the middle to support the top in addition to 5 or 6 sticks.  I was going to have to settle with only 5 inches of the stick exposed to be able to secure it with about 1 inch in the rkt on the bottom. still have no idea how I'll stick the top part to the sticks though, I would love to hear any ideas if you have any.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%