Fondant Pieces On Cream Cheese Frosting? Melting?

Decorating By DnDPastry Updated 4 Sep 2015 , 12:26am by Rosemay1

DnDPastry Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 2:04am
post #1 of 13

What experience does anyone have when placing fondant decor on top of a cream cheese frosting covered cake?

I did a test run of a few balls of colored fondant placed on top of a friend's regular cream cheese frosting (Cr. Ch./10x/Butter)

The fondant bled and some even melted into puddles overnight, while refrigerated!

I usually make a cream cheese IMBC filling but never finish the outside of a cake with it (I always use Vanilla IMBC on the outside)

This client absolutely must have the cream cheese on the outside, but wants some fondant decorative pieces as well.

The cake HAS to be finished the night before and kept refrigerated overnight. What can I do to prevent

bleeding, melting fondant?

Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

12 replies
Rosemay1 Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 3:40am
post #2 of 13

I'M BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT,BUT AFTER READING ABOUT THE DOWNFALLS OF USING CREAM CHEESE AS A FROSTING (to soft) OR AS A FILLING (too soft as well as not safe ),I AVOID USING CREAM CHEESE AT ALL COSTS. THERE ARE EMULSIONS LIKE LORIANN CREAM CHEESE ,AS WELL AS FLAVORINGS YOU COULD TRY.  REMOVING THE SAFETY FACTOR, CREAM CHEESE IS JUST TOO SOFT. HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK

kayteetrudeau Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 3:43am
post #3 of 13

Fondant will melt on cream cheese, without fail. What you can do to protect the fondant pieces is dip the parts that will touch the cream cheese in melted white chocolate. 

kayteetrudeau Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 3:44am
post #4 of 13

Alternately, you could simply wait until the very last minute to put the decorations on. But that is definitely a thing, cream cheese melting fondant.

Rosemay1 Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 3:51am
post #5 of 13

I would be honest with my bride and explained the situation..Cream cheese as the frosting will comprised the look of her cake..that's a fact!!Maybe use white ganache (delicious) for the frosting, fill with cream cheese frosting (kept chilled), and make extra cream cheese frosting on the side!! Just a thought...

VickiDelores Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 4:12am
post #6 of 13

Hello,

I personally do not like to use cream cheese with fondant due to a similar experience. I would use cream cheese on the outside but then put a thin layer of vanilla IMBC as a final  protective coat. So let's you have 1 inch of of icing on the outside, 3/4's of it would be cream cheese and the outer 1/4 would be vanilla IMBC.  I highly doubt she will notice the difference.

You could also  try a crusting cream cheese icing because it is stiffer and has less moisture that would cause tackiness.

I hope all goes well!!

carmijok Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 4:52am
post #7 of 13

I use a crusting cream cheese frosting.  I hardly ever cover my cakes with fondant, but use fondant for all decor.  Check out my photos and you will see the fondant holds up very well, and it refrigerates beautifully.

This is my recipe.  One 8 ounce pkg cream cheese/. 2 sticks of real salted butter, 2 lbs of powdered sugar. (Cane sugar only)

beat softened butter and cream cheese until well blended and light.  Slowly add powdered sugar.  Add milk or liquid if needed.  You don't need vanilla.  We used this at the bakery I worked for as our regular buttercream and for whenever someone asked for cream cheese frosting.  Using real butter assures a good hard base when refrigerated.  I always deliver cold cakes so they come to room temp slowly.  This frosting holds up extremely well.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 13

if you want insurance you could paint the backs/bottoms of your decor with white chocolate but that's really not necessary if you make carmijok's icing and keep things well chilled although there are cc icing recipes that are shelf stable but that's a different subject

julia1812 Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 13

I made the experience that is was actually my mmf fondant that didn't like being in the fridge. Since I make regular rolled fondant all is fine. Had fondant and gum paste on cream cheese frosting (being extremely worried initially!) but had no issues

DnDPastry Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 13

Thank you so much everyone, for taking the time to add your advice, experience and input!

I'm going to do a trial using a crusting cr. ch buttercream and add gumpaste flowers to it, then refrigerate. 

Will definitely report my results!

You are all very, very kind to offer help, thanks again.

Gerle Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 12:29am
post #11 of 13

Carmijok, would your recipe work adding 8 ounces of mascarpone cheese?  My son is getting married in June and they want a frosting that is made with 8 oz cream cheese and 8 oz mascarpone cheese (rest of recipe is 1 cup butter, 2 lbs powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp vanilla).  We could probably eliminate the vanilla and salt if needed.  I was worrying about the fondant/gumpaste decorations melting on this frosting and they are pretty adamant about having this frosting on their wedding cake.  Otherwise I guess I'll have to try the white chocolate trick and see if that works.

DnDPastry Posted 16 May 2015 , 3:35am
post #12 of 13

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update:

I ended up using a modified Crusting Cream Cheese Frosting recipe and adding any gumpaste decor ON TOP of IMBC decor.

I added much more cream cheese to the "Crusting" formulas I had found, because I just didn't care for the taste no matter how much butter flavoring, cream cheese emulsion or other flavoring(s) I added in the tests. Everyone's taste is different, though! 

So the crusting frosting didn't truly "crust'"; to be on the safe side I kept most of the decor IMBC, then added smaller gumpaste pieces on top of that.

Thanks so much for all of your help and advice; it's great to have a network of supportive and generous people who are willing to offer their experience & expertise. Everyone encourages one another and I think it's terrific!

I tried to add a photo of the finished cake in this post. Unfortunately this isn't an option for the forum :(

Thanks again!

Rosemay1 Posted 4 Sep 2015 , 12:26am
post #13 of 13

I'm so glad things worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%