Balancing Home Baking Business And Small Children.

Business By Mybearsbaby Updated 10 Mar 2015 , 4:41pm by Mybearsbaby

Mybearsbaby Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 15

I have been working from home making cakes for a few years now, and since then, I have had a baby (he is two now), and my business has grown ten fold. Over the last year, things have really, really picked up, to the point that I need someone to help me, or need to turn more away. Though I am one of the priciest home bakers, I work hard and have a steady clientele. I get up super early (before my son wakes up) to work, and utilize his nap times and my husband's off days to get orders done. I actually finally found a groove of sorts. I love doing cakes, and feel like for the first time in my life, I found my niche...

But... 

DH and I are wanting another baby soon...probably in the next year. I am so ready, but my fear is that if we have another, there will be no time for baking/decorating, no routine, and I won't be able to do as many cakes. My husband's hours aren't what they used to be, so my baking really supplements our income. We need the money I make, so I can't really just stop ( nor do I want to, because I love what I do). I kind of feel like it is money or another baby...is it too much to want both? 

My question is: is it possible to do both? Are there any other moms of very young children that have made it work? What did you do, and how did you adjust your schedule to make it work? Any tips or advice you would offer other mothers? TIA

14 replies
VS Sweet treats Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 15

Hi Mybearsbaby,

Have you think to hire a nanny to take care of your kids while you are working? or maybe affording a daycare?

Mybearsbaby Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 15

Quote by @VS Sweet treats on 7 minutes ago

Hi Mybearsbaby,

Have you think to hire a nanny to take care of your kids while you are working? or maybe affording a daycare?

Hi VS Sweet treats! I have thought about it, but as of now, I would only be able to afford childcare for one child, maybe two days per week. If we had another baby, I wouldn't want to put them in childcare for the first little bit, but am kind of afraid if we out the oldest in daycare, he may resent the new baby. Maybe I am just overthinking it. ;) 

I do love your suggestion of hiring a nanny to come here and help with the kids. That may be my solution! :) 

VS Sweet treats Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 15

Hi Mybearsbaby,

I've been in your situation, I have two beautiful girls which are 18 months apart.  It is really hard and more if you are alone, I have my parents coming to help me only for two months when my youngest one was born.  I started to take my oldest daughter to the daycare gradually, like 3 days a week and couple of hours one day, 3 hours and four and also let her to take her nap so she would familiarize with the day to day routine.  I also tried, every time I had a little free time, for example when my youngest one was sleeping, to spend sometime with her playing, coloring a book or just simple cuddling and watching TV.  And every time my youngest baby cried or needed me I always told my oldest one "Oh!!! the baby is crying, do you want to come and help mommy with her?" in a way letting her know she was part of the team.  Jealousy is a factor that for more that you try it is always going to be between there but you need to make them know that you love them BOTH equal that they will be always your little precious. 

I wish you success with this next phase of your life and your business but something is for sure you will need help!!!

Regards and God bless you and your family!!!

Natka81 Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 15

Quote by @VS Sweet treats on 3 hours ago

Hi Mybearsbaby,

I'm with  you on hiring a baby sitter. Someone who can come to your house and take care of your children in the comfort of your home. It will be very hard to take them both to and from daycare it's just time consuming. 

Happyfood Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 15

I would agree with the other replies in hiring an in house nanny.  The other important factor would be for you to think of what your kids will remember as they grow up.  Will you be able to deal with them talking about the good times they had with their nanny while mommy works all day baking cakes?   Sometimes life holds difficult decisions for us all.  Maybe a happy medium would be to cut back on your cake orders while your kids are little?  You can always pick up again after they are in school full time.  Your kids will only be small for such a short time so it is a big decision for sure.

kylieana Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 15

Im not a decorator, but just as a suggestion. How about canvasing the area to see if there is a young teen willing to keep a eye on the kids for a few hours after school everyday.  It could give you a few extra hours and still your able to be part of your kids lives.

You may even be able to find a local stay at home mum who wouldn't mind a few hours in the morning, a few days a week, that way your not relinquishing full days but getting a few hours of alone time.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 12:07am
post #8 of 15

one thing you have going for you is you know what works for you now  -- if baby #1 does go out to daycare there's that much extra time to get him ready and transported and picked back up -- it takes a lot to do all that so just watch that schedule and be vigilant to not cram it up -- you can of course pull back on the baking to allow for the adjustments you'll naturally be making -- then as things progress you can wiggle it back & forth with your baking --

fwiw i mostly waited with my baking till mine were older though and i was stay-at-home at the time -- but maybe that was more because my #2 was hyperactive -- anyhow --

but you got this hang onto that schedule of yours -- and use it as your outline -- if cakes start to not be any fun -- if you start resenting getting orders time to pull the plug --

another good idea -- start training hubby -- best to you!

Mybearsbaby Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 15

Quote by @VS Sweet treats on 19 hours ago

Hi Mybearsbaby,

I've been in your situation, I have two beautiful girls which are 18 months apart.  It is really hard and more if you are alone, I have my parents coming to help me only for two months when my youngest one was born.  I started to take my oldest daughter to the daycare gradually, like 3 days a week and couple of hours one day, 3 hours and four and also let her to take her nap so she would familiarize with the day to day routine.  I also tried, every time I had a little free time, for example when my youngest one was sleeping, to spend sometime with her playing, coloring a book or just simple cuddling and watching TV.  And every time my youngest baby cried or needed me I always told my oldest one "Oh!!! the baby is crying, do you want to come and help mommy with her?" in a way letting her know she was part of the team.  Jealousy is a factor that for more that you try it is always going to be between there but you need to make them know that you love them BOTH equal that they will be always your little precious. 

I wish you success with this next phase of your life and your business but something is for sure you will need help!!!

Regards and God bless you and your family!!!

Thank you so much!! 

Thank you you all for your wonderful suggestions. Yall have definitely helped me to calm my fears. I know it will be an adjustment, but I do think it is doable now. I think after reading the suggestions, My plan will be to cut back to about half of what I do now,  and hire someone local as suggested to come to my home and watch the kids for a few hours in my home on the days I have cakes. 

Mybearsbaby Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 15

It sent before I was done typing lol...

I think in home care maybe twice a week once we have another child may be the best solution. I really appreciate all your kind suggestions, encouragement and input. Thank you all, and happy baking! 

Mybearsbaby Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 3:52pm
post #11 of 15

Quote by @-K8memphis on 15 hours ago

another good idea -- start training hubby -- best to you!

K8memphis:thanks a bunch! And lol yes definitely this! I have already taught him my chocolate cake recipe and how to make my buttercream lol ;) I told him he is my unofficial baking assistant :D 

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 15

that's so cool -- my husband has been a tremendous gradually increasing  help all the way through my baking career -- initially by leaving me alone, taking the kids -- but when it's time to deliver he just knows exactly what to do -- and he knows how to deal with me being 100% pre-occupied (and not with him) that i regain some human-ness  after delivery when he can take me out to eat heheheh --  

he's my biggest fan -- it's mutual -- 

Mybearsbaby Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 15

That is awesome k8memphis! Yeah, I don't know what I would do without my hubby. And I know just whatcha mean by preoccupied. I get cake induced tunnel vision at times lol. Sounds like we both have a good fella! :) 

JeniC Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 4:15pm
post #14 of 15

I also run a fairly busy cake/bakery business from home. I have 4 children 7,6,4, and 2. It is sometimes a bit overwhelming but it's completely doable. I am fortunate on my really busy days/weeks I can usually call a family member to come and help with the kids. Most times however, I do what I can during the early morning, nap time for the little one and then after everyone else is in bed. It's a little chaotic at times, but I LOVE what I do and it's worth it to me :) 

The way I see it, you usually have to adjust your entire routine when you add a new member to the family anyway, you just have one extra element to consider.  I hope it all works out for you :) 

Mybearsbaby Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 4:41pm
post #15 of 15

Quote by @JeniC on 2 days ago

I also run a fairly busy cake/bakery business from home. I have 4 children 7,6,4, and 2. It is sometimes a bit overwhelming but it's completely doable. I am fortunate on my really busy days/weeks I can usually call a family member to come and help with the kids. Most times however, I do what I can during the early morning, nap time for the little one and then after everyone else is in bed. It's a little chaotic at times, but I LOVE what I do and it's worth it to me :) 

The way I see it, you usually have to adjust your entire routine when you add a new member to the family anyway, you just have one extra element to consider.  I hope it all works out for you :) 

Thank you, JeniC! Very good points. I am so glad you made it work for you, and your reply furthers my determination to make it work. :) Thanks again, and happy baking! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%