Please Help! Silicone Cake Mold Problems

Baking By Natiflor09 Updated 9 Mar 2015 , 12:52am by Natiflor09

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 3

I have these two supposedly fancy Italian silicone molds I bought a while ago that have brought me nothing but headaches! I followed the directions for prepping them before first use but they don't seem to work like they should.

First time I made a GF cake that stuck like crazy to the mold and burned horribly. Next time was in class when we made a pineapple upside down which slid out beautifully..but I'm figuring that was just because of the caramel. In fact it was the only cake that turned out so well in the whole class and I thought it could have been because of the mold. Last time I used it, I made a RV cake that also burned on the bottom. Although that time I buttered the mold (and maybe floured, can't remember) in hopes of avoiding that awful stuck GF cake fiasco from my first time around. 

I want to give these molds one last damn chance by making chocolate cake for this coming Sunday. Would you say buttering and flouring the mold is what could have caused the burned bottom of my RV cake? Since it's silicone and normally I'm not supposed to do anything to it? I'm so lost as to what is going wrong with these molds!! :(

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 3

hmm i've used several different silicone molds and i grease and flour them -- i've never encountered the problems you're having -- at first i thought maybe the gf one messed up because of the gf-ness but then the rv did the same thing -- really distressing -- i do not use spray fat in them because that stuff can cause issues sometimes so i avoid that --

here's a thought -- did the rv and gf both bake in the same oven and the 'one in the class' did it bake somewhere else in a second oven? if yes then might be the gf rv oven?

no, i doubt that buttering and flouring caused it to burn --

i keep a pizza stone in my oven and it increases the heat on the bottom of my baked goods -- do you have anything like that in there?

did you bake it already? how did it go?

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 12:52am
post #3 of 3

Thanks so much for your response! Good to know I'm not the only one greasing and flouring silicone molds lol! And that it's not the problem

Yes the GF and RV cakes were baked in my home oven but I haven't had problems baking in other molds. I forgot to mention when I first wrote my post, but now I remember that when I made the RV cakes I noticed the bottom had little grooves from the oven rack. I realized I had forgotten to put a baking sheet under the mold! I think you're supposed to always have one underneath right? Could that be it?

In the end I decided to use a different mold for my cake today, so I don't know yet

Thanks so much again! At least I could rule one reason out :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%