Bulges Bulges Bulges Ugh So Frustrating

Decorating By kamill Updated 11 Mar 2015 , 1:11pm by kamill

kamill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kamill Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 22

Ok cake central peeps I know there's a lot of conversations on here about bulges and letting cake settle and all of that but I've been doing exactly everything that other people do i follow krazy kool cakes method of doing thing stiff dam crumb coat let sit overnight in the fridge the n coat again put fondant and everything will be fine until the next morning my cake has love handles. So I have a question I read about a lot of people using ganache before fondant. Does ganache make it more sturdy?? Can I keep doing my buttercream dam my regular feeling crumb coat then do a last coat of ganache? Does anyone do this? Will it affect the flavors??? 

21 replies
VS Sweet treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS Sweet treats Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 22

Hello,

May I ask what are you using to do your buttercream?

Thanks

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 22

Hi 

If I'm using buttercream (always smbc) I just use that normally as a filling, let it sit for however long,  then coat in ganache (changing the flavour to suit the cake). 

I don't bother with a dam anymore as I still ended up with bulges, plus when I trimmed the cake the bloody dam would fall out. 

When I fill I don't go all the way to the edges, I leave about a 1cm gap. As the cake settles the filling is pushed into this area, and if it isn't the ganache coat fills this gap (sort of working like the dam, but from the outside in).

kamill Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 22

I use Edna de LA Cruz buttercream vs sweet treats

kamill Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 22

Lizzybug is the flavor good? Will putting a crumb coat on of buttercream make a difference? I want to have straight cakes but don't want to mess with the flavors 

Momof2froggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof2froggies Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 22

Do you live in a very humid area? Or are you using a very moist filling like fresh fruit? The only time I had bulging issues was when a client wanted fresh strawberries and I was running out of time so I didn't let them dry on paper towels before adding them to my filling. That was a hot mess!!! I use either SMBC or ganache for my crumb coating and I've never had issues... I crumbcoat, let it rest in the fridge for an hour or so (until firm enough I can smooth it out it as much as possible) and then put the fondant on. I don't usually refrigerate my cakes once the fondant is in place. Maybe you are using too much filling?

kamill Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 4:16pm
post #7 of 22

I'm really not sure I follow krazy kool cakes method of doing cakes. But maybe I'm putting too much buttercream on idk I'm so confused I'm going to try doing my buttercream filling and coat the outside with ganache and see what happens 

Momof2froggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof2froggies Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 22

Good luck!!

kamill Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 22

Thanks momof2froggies 

VS Sweet treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS Sweet treats Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 22

Hello Kamill,

I will suggest next time you do your buttercream try using only shortening and avoid the butter.

Hope this helps

kamill Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 22

The buttercream on the outside of the caje is an all shortening buttercream And it's not crisco so idk.

I'm going to fill with buttercream then ganache and see what happens I want to achieve sharp sharp edges I hope this works and taste yummy too

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 22

Hiya, I find if I want a neutral flavour I just use white choc and add some vanilla. I've used it with all sorts of flavours and not had a complaint yet! If it pairs well, I'll switch up the white for milk or dark, but white is my preference.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 22

No one said the dam and coating had to be the same. Why not use a stiff buttercream (crisco) dam? Even use a double dam--- two swirls of buttercream, one right inside the other. Fill, crumb coat, settle, then ice and decorate to finish. 

Also, the cakes aren't too tall are they? I was cursing when I "skipped" the bubble tea straws in a cake I *thought* would be OK.... the weight of the top gave me horrible "love handles" TOO. 

kamill Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 5:56pm
post #14 of 22

Johnson6ofus Lol I hate those love handles. Lizzybug I was thinking about white I think it'll be the best option the client wants and almond flavor cake so I hope it'll work with the white ganache. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 6:04pm
post #15 of 22

Please remember that cakes WILL NOT settle in the refrigerator.  Think about it.  The fridge firms up the filling so it won't move.  During settling is when you want things to move if they're going to - not after the cake is delivered.  Settling happens at room temp.

kamill Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 6:12pm
post #16 of 22

Thanks leah

Shelli05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelli05 Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 5:57am
post #17 of 22

Leah is right. I used to have the same problem.  I fill my cakes, wrap them in plastic, put a tile or a light book on them and let them settle overnight on the counter, not fridge.  The next day I ice them either in buttercream or ganache and never had the bulging problem again.

kamill Posted 7 Mar 2015 , 6:09am
post #18 of 22

Shelling thanks I will try this

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 2:31pm
post #19 of 22

I am using a ganache damn and it has stopped the bulging issue.

kamill Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 4:57pm
post #20 of 22

Ropalma with white ganache? do you still coat the outside with buttercream? How does the flavors work together?

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 12:08pm
post #21 of 22

Yes with white ganache I do vanilla buttercream  on the outside.  With vanilla cake I use white chocolate ganache and for chocolate cake I use chocolate ganache.  The damn just melts right into the buttercream and you do not notice the difference.

kamill Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 1:11pm
post #22 of 22

Oh ok I will haveto try this thanks so so b much 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%