Welcome To The Updated Cake Central Experience!

Lounge By Heath Updated 21 Jul 2016 , 9:39am by -K8memphis

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:20pm
post #181 of 285

Quote by @Heath on 23 Mar 2015 , 10:30pm

This week we are focusing on completely rebuilding the broken site search and reimplementing the new user first post moderation to cut down spam.

Just wanted to put out a quick note so you all knew which things were being worked on this week.  Hopefully both those items will be done by the weekend.

Well, after finding SIXTEEN pages of spam today it doesn't seem like that this issue is solved or not on your list of priorities. Very disappointing!!!

Heath Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heath Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:25pm
post #182 of 285

Quote by @julia1812 on 48 seconds ago

Quote by @Heath on 23 Mar 2015 , 10:30pm

This week we are focusing on completely rebuilding the broken site search and reimplementing the new user first post moderation to cut down spam.

Just wanted to put out a quick note so you all knew which things were being worked on this week.  Hopefully both those items will be done by the weekend.

Well, after finding SIXTEEN pages of spam today it doesn't seem like that this issue is solved or not on your list of priorities. Very disappointing!!!

Actually this is a completely untrue statement and I even posted about the problem during the holiday weekend.  As I mentioned in the other post, coding solutions to problems does not have a specific time it takes to solve. You work on the problem until it is solved and you cannot give a specific date for it.  I can't see how you would think it is not a priority for us when I have to check the forums 15 times a day to delete all the spam coming in.  I hate it as much as you do and eagerly await our solution to be in place and working.

julia1812 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:34pm
post #183 of 285

I had to add a cake from someone else to my gallery to be able to include the link for the picture in a thread. Had the picture saved on my computer and couldn't find the link on the internet anymore.

Not a great feeling to post pictures of someone else in MY gallery.

Can you not get the "attach picture" function back please?

Yes it will be back by next week.  

No, it's not...

Heath Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:40pm
post #184 of 285

@julia1812  - We have one developer and priorities change when more critical issues come up.  Things will be addressed as fast as a single developer can do them.  I am not going to say anything more on this topic.  If it makes you feel better to make posts accusing us of not trying, then go for it.

julia1812 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:42pm
post #185 of 285

Quote by @Heath on 9 minutes ago

Actually this is a completely untrue statement and I even posted about the problem during the holiday weekend.  As I mentioned in the other post, coding solutions to problems does not have a specific time it takes to solve. You work on the problem until it is solved and you cannot give a specific date for it.  I can't see how you would think it is not a priority for us when I have to check the forums 15 times a day to delete all the spam coming in.  I hate it as much as you do and eagerly await our solution to be in place and working.

Excuse me, but what is untrue? If you are the one deleting the spam, you must have seen that it was 16 pages just hours ago. I'm in a European time zone and I guess mostly effected by the spam since my day is your night.

I'm just following up on what you posted and actually the opposite seems to happen. There is not less spam, rather MORE.

Heath Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 6:55pm
post #186 of 285

Quote by @julia1812 on 11 minutes ago

Quote by @Heath on 9 minutes ago

Excuse me, but what is untrue? If you are the one deleting the spam, you must have seen that it was 16 pages just hours ago. I'm in a European time zone and I guess mostly effected by the spam since my day is your night.

I'm just following up on what you posted and actually the opposite seems to happen. There is not less spam, rather MORE.

The part where you said it was not a priority for us is the part that is untrue.

julia1812 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 7:07pm
post #187 of 285

Well, I wrote "it doesn't seem like it's not...".

Anyway, Keith, you might be under immense pressure, I can imagine and I don't want to pick on phrases here now. I didn't want to attack you in any way and I can see you take critic personal, which was surely not my attention! I didn't mean to accuse you or anyone, I simply tried to follow up on a statement/ timeline you made/ gave earlier...

As a user I feel a little let down which makes me sad because I still enjoy reading posts on cake central (once I find some in between spam

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 7 Apr 2015 , 10:18am
post #188 of 285

Perhaps having more than one developer (is it developer or it it still jackie trying to work things out?) for a huge site would help. 

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 3:59pm
post #189 of 285

I miss the gallery being broken up in the subjects.  I don't have time to scroll through the thousands and thousands of pictures.  Don't know if this has been addressed or if it's a work in progress or if I just missed how to do it

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 6:29pm
post #190 of 285

Just popped back on to see that things aren't really any better over here. Users are still frustrated and the creators/developers/Heath don't seem to be able to 'calmly' keep people up to date with what is going on. I am shocked with how quickly people seem to become all defensive when users are simply pointing out how unusable this site continues to be. Having more than one developer when all of these problems are mounting would definitely seem like a good solution. 

Also, why can this site not implement a restriction on posts that a new user can make? Either none within the first few days or only a couple, this would make it a much longer process for anyone to spam the site, it seems to work for other forums. I have joined other forums and then had to wait for a day or two before I could post, it isn't really that much of an inconvenience. 

Oh well, back to our other forum I go....

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 1:18pm
post #191 of 285

oh no, found this thread on page 3 or 4 -- oh no where's the spam? i think the filters are starting to work-- nothing is 100% i guess and i'm not challenging the spammers i'm just saying i've seen a HUGE wonderful change -- 

THANKS CC, JACKIE & HEATH 

spam be gone today

emoticons be back tomorrow 

*:-)/\:-) high five

hahahaha

claudiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claudiab Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 4:29pm
post #192 of 285

Hi there,

cake central was my most used site for inspiration and I'm very disappointed to see today, that after all this time of "making a better cake central"  the gallery is still not in sections or rather still not useable  and the most important function, the search function does still not work.

And after reading the posts, I can't believe that there should be really just ONE developer working on it ..... after making such a mess of a great (working) site

I really, really hope this will be working soon - I miss it 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 6:31pm
post #193 of 285

i know right -- it's a little hole in the heart -- still a little inward gasp 'oh no' -- obviously they downsized and they are re-building it -- it's improved tremendously already -- they know what they're doing just takes time -- i can understand your disappointment but i'm trying to be expectant and it's getting better and better -- couple of emoticons (and a navigable gallery) short of a cake board but hey it's just a matter of time and if it's better for the owners it'll be better for us...  ultimately --

GoWildCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GoWildCakes Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 6:49pm
post #194 of 285

Isn't it a choice to come to this site??? I mean. is anyone forced to come here?  If you don't like it don't come.   Does anyone REALLY think that Heath wants these problems?!?!  I mean come on.

There are plenty of other things to do with our time than complain about a web site that you don't ever have to use unless you want to.

I like the site, I know there will always be problems with any site.  Deal with it or choose a different site. 

Sheesh!

Have a nice, spam free, day. 

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 11:59pm
post #195 of 285

Obviously no one wants the problems, no one has said that or anything like it. What has been said is that much more could (and should) have been done to prevent them in the first place.  Things like having a professional sort  the changeover out, checking that the site was functional before putting it live,  and having  enough people working on issues. 

Why does it have to be so black and white? The site that used to be awesome is no longer anything like as good, and no one's allowed to say anything about it, and should in fact leave if  they dare have an opinion other than the site is great? That seems to be the gist of your post. 

I loved the site before. I do not love (actually I don't even really like) it at the moment. I *do* want to use it, but it's still user-unfriendly enough that I can't/won't use it as I used to.  I hope it will be better in the future, and check in every few days to see if I'll be pleasantly surprised. Sadly that's not happened yet, but I'm crossing fingers it will.

In the meantime I am doing as you suggest and using another forum. I wonder though what would happen to a site that relies on users for forum content if everyone who was disgruntled did the same? 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 12:21am
post #196 of 285

what if having enough people to work on the problems cost too much or maybe j& h needed to regain control of the reigns or some other reason we don't know  -- i have no idea if that's the case at all -- i'm purely speculating -- but money and control are usually my motivation to tackle something myself that i should have professionals and extra people on hand to do --

it is getting better -- 

i think cc will survive and prosper -- i was delighted to see 33 alerts this morning of new messages to threads i've posted in -- we need to keep the pathways open and sweet and open...and sweet and we are for the most part -- except for shooting the messenger a bit --well not really shooting maybe roughing him up a bit -- sure sometimes there's issues --

but i like the idea of a fresh start and a new cc with our legacy intact-- it's happening and i think it's good -- emoticons and gallery to go plus a couple other things :)

bottom line -- like you, lizzybug, it's worth waiting for for me too --

-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 12:34am
post #197 of 285

and i just wanna say this too -- i miss you uk-ers and that massive missive you guys grow like mississippi kudzu in july -- you guys posted so much so fast i know often y'all could not keep up and i sure could not keep up but i loved all your stuff and i am completely waiting for when you all get restored -- 'cause i miss yous

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:17pm
post #198 of 285

Quote by @Erdica on 4 days ago

I miss the gallery being broken up in the subjects.  I don't have time to scroll through the thousands and thousands of pictures.  Don't know if this has been addressed or if it's a work in progress or if I just missed how to do it

I agree with this, I do really miss the categories the site used to have. It made it so much easier when searching for ideas and all.

GoWildCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GoWildCakes Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:20pm
post #199 of 285

It's a FREE site.  Have all the opinions you want. It doesn't bother me.  I would think that stating the facts is needed and important to improving the site.  But lets be constructive about it. 

That's all.

Just my opinion.

I'm relatively new here so I didn't use it much before, and I really have only other sites to compare to. 

Have a nice day. 

Heath Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:24pm
post #200 of 285

just as an fyi, now that spam is under control we are focusing on fixing search.  Will probably take a couple days but that is what we are currently working on.  After that is done we will be making some updates to gallery navigation to address some of the concerns there.  Those two items will take up most of this week.

julia1812 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 5:28am
post #201 of 285

Woohoo, went to bed...no spam...woke up...NO SPAM!!!

Love it

sugarluva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarluva Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 12:28pm
post #202 of 285

Wildcakes - yes this is a free site and I don't think anyone is here because they feel like they have to be, or because there are a lack of other options. I think people are still here and people are frustrated because this was a site that we all loved. I came here every day, infact several times a day, and as memphis said us UK folks used to chat on here A LOT! When the site was down for a week is was frustrating to not be able to talk to each other and then when the site came back online it was so frustratingly bad I think everyone got annoyed by it. We have now managed to all find each other on another forum and are happily chatting over there but CC is still somewhere where so much of our tips and recipes that we sent to each other are stored that we haven't quite wanted to give up on it yet. That is why people are giving their opinions, that is why people are annoyed. This site might be free to use but it must generate income for the people working on it otherwise they just wouldn't bother. Without people using the site they won't generate that income so in the long run we do have the right to state our opinion and we shouldn't be snapped at or talked down to in the meantime by the people who I am sure are working very hard on restoring this site to it's former glory. 

I read a while ago a post by someone who compared the update on this site to using a 'cheap cake lady' which I am sure we can all relate to. You might save yourself money by not using a professional but in the long run the results won't be as good!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 3:36pm
post #203 of 285

what is up with the Forum Replies "count"...the reply numbers are no longer registering new responses...?

alerts are not working either...not getting notified of new responses on conversations that I know I'm subscribed to...is the queue stuck maybe...?

problems seem to have started around 05:30 pm yesterday and corresponded to some change made to CC...on my end I kept seeing intermittent "time for an upgrade" screens and a blank screens reporting a "handler exception" error. that's when I signed off. 

I have submitted a "Help" ticket... 

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 3:45pm
post #204 of 285

as an fyi - upon submitted the above

Quote by @virago on 5 minutes ago

what is up with the Forum Replies "count"...the reply numbers are no longer registering new responses...?

alerts are not working either...not getting notified of new responses on conversations that I know I'm subscribed to...is the queue stuck maybe...?

problems seem to have started around 05:30 pm yesterday and corresponded to some change made to CC...on my end I kept seeing intermittent "time for an upgrade" screens and a blank screens reporting a "handler exception" error. that's when I signed off. 

I have submitted a "Help" ticket... 

as an fyi - upon submitting this ^^^ I received an "500 Something went wrong!" notice.

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:41pm
post #205 of 285

An experienced web-tester would have been helpful before deploying this product. :-)  Oh yah thats what I do for a living, an off hours gig might not be a bad idea - lol

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:58pm
post #206 of 285

@SunsetHoney if you are trying to access a link to an old gallery, like the sketches and templates gallery. it will not work.

http://help.cakecentral.com/knowledgebase/articles/514382-finding-images-in-the-gallery

Our gallery organization has changed, instead of using predetermined categories we are locating photos by tags. This is because often cakes could reasonably be placed in multiple categories.  So all you have to do is search your desired theme in the search box on the top right of the page. In your search results click the gallery tab to view the images.

You might be interested in other content, such as tutorials or conversation about the same topic, you can find these results under the other tabs in your search results.

http://www.cakecentral.com/newsearch?search=sketches+and+templates

If you are looking for a specific sketch you could search the topic instead.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 5:16pm
post #207 of 285

When are the 505 notices that fill my email going to stop?

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 5:30pm
post #208 of 285

For now @leah_s you can turn off your notifications if you prefer. When we have an update on that matter Heath will post it.

http://help.cakecentral.com/knowledgebase/articles/514400-change-notifications-settings

-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 8:52pm
post #209 of 285

whoa don't look now but check out the search results i got 

806,785 batman cake images with pictures! ha!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 11:24pm
post #210 of 285

The 'Default' photo section for each person's use is no longer available.  and labeled photo folders on each members photo section will not exist.  So there will be just one big gallery of all of a members photos under their page?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%