First Gluten Free Cup Cake Order

Baking By AshleyRene Updated 2 Apr 2015 , 1:49pm by -K8memphis

AshleyRene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyRene Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 6

AI have my first gluten free cupcake order, she wants chocolate, so I need any help I can get :D

best recipes and any tips I should know when baking? ??

And go..... :)

and hopefully I charged accordingly, I normally charge 3$ a serving but figured ingredients may be more expensive with gluten free plus I have to take extra care to not get the flour that stays all over my kitchen in our around anything so I told her $4 a serving so 60$ for 15 cupcakes. ..

5 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 6

You really shouldn't take an order for gluten free anything if you have ingredients with gluten in your workspace. You absolutely cannot guarantee that there will be no traces of gluten in your finished product. Flour floats around forever, even if you clean super well. A trace of gluten for a Celiac is not the same as a trace of milk for a lactose-intolerant person. My health inspector has totally prohibited me from making anything gluten free in my bakery unless I have a completely separate operation set up with a second set of everything (including mixer, oven, spatulas, molds - everything) and it is within 4 walls - guessing it's for a reason. 

Your rules may be different, but I would not want to be responsible for sending anyone to hospital.

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 8 Mar 2015 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 6

Might be a bit late but I thought I'd chime  in! 

Inthe UK we can't claim gluten free unless we have  dedicated areas  for production. You don't have anything like that in the States? 

My friend is coeliac, and I regularly bake for one of hubby's colleagues who is as well.  They are severe enough that using a towel that I've used to dry something with gluten, or dried my hands on, can cause a reaction. Using butter that you've previously used part of for  a normal cake is a no no, ditto baking powders/sodas that you may have used a teaspoon in previously for normal baking. There's tons of things like this. 

It sounds ridiculous but if they're really severe this is what you need to do.

It can be done. I do normal cooking and still do these items, but am meticulous about cleaning before I bake. If I have gluten and non gluten orders, the non gluten are made first. I can't claim to be gluten free, I just state that I am careful but my kitchen is also used for standard cooking and baking.  

Not all of them will be this severe, but it's a lot more involved that taking care not to get the flour that's normally used in the kitchen on the gf stuff. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 Mar 2015 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 6

Betty Crocker makes a perfectly fine GF mix. Yes, more expensive, but buying all the new products that go into GF is too. I bake GF for family members, but do not "reuse" anything in the kitchen. Box mix works fine, and I open new everything to bake it (new powdered sugar, new butter stick, etc.)

Trying to make your own "flour" substitute gets really expensive. BTW, cost of ingredients is double, so plan on that.

AshleyRene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyRene Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 2:48am
post #5 of 6

Thank you all so much, it went well but I will not be doing it again in the future. I was a nervous wreck about everything, I had bought new pans and everything but even the gel color I use is made in a place that produces gluten, was more of a task than it was worth. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 6

wow thanks for the update -- important experience you went through

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%