Are Silver Dragees Edible?

Decorating By Britterfly Updated 10 Mar 2015 , 10:33am by Britterfly

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 11:38am
post #1 of 7

I thought that silver & gold dragees weren't edible? A customer told me she wants edible silver dragees on her cake & that she will order them & bring them to me. Is there such a thing as edible dragees?

6 replies
Jasmin32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmin32 Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 7

AI've only ever known them to be edible! As a child we used to decorate our Christmas cookies with them and always ate them too!

They sell them at coles in the cake decorating section, while they may not call them dragees they are hard silver balls. Buy just doing a quick google many sites came up selling 'edible silver balls'.

So pretty sure they're safe. I personally don't like using them on anything due to the pure hardness off them, I hate biting into a lovely soft cake, soft fondant and then find this rock hard ball crunch in my teeth! Haha

Good luck :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 7

They're technically decorative use only, which means they're not supposed to be eaten. You can't even get them in some places since they're banned. People eat them anyway but you're really not supposed to.

georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 7

AI believe I had to order them from china because I couldnt find them anywhere else, I believe they have mercury in them, but not positive on that.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 7

What costumeczar said

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 7

Speaking as someone who has fond memories of scarfing down the Christmas cookies with the little silver ball decorations as a kid....

I live in California, which means the metallic dragees - of any color - are banned.  My work-around has been silver or gold crispy chocolate pearls.  They come in a mix of milk/dark/white chocolate, with the silver/gold coloring.  They look lovely, and don't have that crack-a-tooth fear that I get with some of the sugar pearls out there.  The silver/gold has not bled on to any icing yet!  I use these, as well as the "plain" dark/milk/white mix pearls in a lot of my decorating.

(I can't quite manage to post a photo. Where did that button go?  Urrrgh...)

I get mine at Qzina - links below - but if anyone has seen these elsewhere, I'd love to know!

Gold Crispy Pearls

Silver Crispy Pearls

"Plain" Crispy Pearls

Hope that helps!

Britterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Britterfly Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 10:33am
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone! I went on global sugar art & I read that the metallic ones aren't edible, only for decorative purposes like y'all said. I did find some silver sugar pearls made by Wilton so I'm going to use that instead. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%