What Kind Of Cake Is This?

Decorating By rsquared02 Updated 26 Feb 2015 , 6:32am by Apti

rsquared02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsquared02 Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 4:23am
post #1 of 2

This one may be impossible to figure out what I'm asking, lol.  My posts tend to not get many replies.  I hope no one thinks I'm a bad person, I've been a member here for a long time and mostly just read.  I know my little bit of knowledge is nothing compared to the peeps here, so I don't say much, just try to absorb the awesome!

Anyway, while I was deployed to Kuwait, we ate at this Hello Kitty restaurant.  It really just started as a fluke, and then we decided the celebration cakes were too cute to pass up, so we stopped there any time we needed cake.  Sometimes, it's important to celebrate that you made it through the work week!!  LOL.

I have no idea what kind of cake this is, but would like to try to reproduce it.  It was spongy, almost more like a mousse than cake, but had layers of icing inside, like whipped cream actually.  I'll have to see if I can find the pic I took of one cut because I was so intrigued.  Since it's the Middle East, the flavors were very sweet and fruit  based.

The whole restaurant was just so stinking cute.  I heard the food is awful, but we only ate cake ;-)

1 reply
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Feb 2015 , 6:29am
post #2 of 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsquared02 

I don't say much, just try to absorb the awesome!  (I'm always blabbing on here, but I too, try to absorb the awesome!)

I have no idea what kind of cake this is, but would like to try to reproduce it.  It was spongy, almost more like a mousse than cake, but had layers of icing inside, like whipped cream actually.  I'll have to see if I can find the pic I took of one cut because I was so intrigued.  Since it's the Middle East, the flavors were very sweet and fruit  based.

Where are you stationed now?  Location makes a huge difference in which ingredients/pans/tools may be available to re-create that cake.   I checked your profile, but didn't see any photos so I will assume you have beginning skills and go from there.

This is actually a fairly easy cake to reproduce.  From the photo it appears to be a light cake with flavoring and coloring added to make it strawberry, lemon, mango, chocolate, etc.   The finish appears to  be a type of powder dusted on the finished cake (like cocoa, only flavored and colored to match the color/flavor of the cake).

In the USA, I would recommend that you purchase a Wilton Hello Kitty Pan:

Use a rolling pin to roll the slices thin, then cut them with scissors or a knife into the shape you desire.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%