"let Me Talk To My Husband And I Will Get Back To You".......

Business By Cakes By Alie Updated 6 Mar 2015 , 6:29pm by babyblue113

Cakes By Alie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes By Alie Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 14

AJust a little rant...... 50 emails later. 8 inch fondant cake 10 cake pops and a smash cake. Delivered (Hungry caterpillar theme. Super cute!) Fondant caterpillar etc.... Time is money. That being said this happens quite frequently. I left her with a $102 price quote. I can't quote them until I know exactly what the client needs. Then I get the famous "let me talk to my husband....." Thankfully I have been busier than ever, so these "no call backs" don't hurt too much. It's Just simply frustrating! :D

13 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 14

Yes, it is annoying. Maybe have a basic pricing thing on your website? i.e. an 8" decorated cake serves 20 portions and costs $XXX. Cake pops are ordered by the dozen and cost $XX... etc. Or at least have that basic info in the very first email you send to a potential customer. 

You won't eliminate all the enquiries for cheap cakes (most times it seems those particular clients can't do simple maths either.....!) but at least some will stay away. 

Cakes By Alie Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 14

AI think I am going to revamp my website. I do have pricing per servings for fondant and buttercream and servings diagrams below. But I need to simplify it. I don't know how to diplomatically say "please refer to my website for pricing".... I don't want to sound like I don't want to take my time with them..... and most of my business comes from fb and these clients rarely use the link to view my website.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 14

You need to have a pricing paragraph saved on your computer so you can copy and paste it into an email. Or a picture of the exact same thing on your website - I am attaching pricing details for your convenience, or whatever you want to say to them. I agree, saying to someone "please check the prices on the website", sounds like you can't be bothered to tell them (which we know you can't, and we get it, but they shouldn't have to know that!), so being able to copy and paste something is miles easier than typing it out all over again every time. 

When you do have an easy to understand pricing page on your website, go to your FB page and announce it, link to it, so people can have a look. Ignore any "wow ur expensive" comments (or delete them, even better).

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes By Alie 

50 emails later .... this happens quite frequently ... Then I get the famous "let me talk to my husband....."

Some calls could be your wannabe competition. CakeCentral attracts many people who ask how to price their cakes and they are often told to call local cakers and retail bakeries to ask how much a detailed xyz cake would cost. Nowadays everyone with a kitchen believes they can sell cakes, so the calls are sure to be on the rise.       

Cakes By Alie Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 14

A[@]MimiFix[/@] This is why I am so reserved about throwing my prices everywhere. I just had a client that found someone cheaper to do a cake. 5 gumpaste roses. Lace border 6inch fondant cake for $36..... No way not with 5 huge gumpaste roses pouring over the top of the cake.....

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes By Alie 

@MimiFix This is why I am so reserved about throwing my prices everywhere. I just had a client that found someone cheaper to do a cake. 5 gumpaste roses. Lace border 6inch fondant cake for $36..... No way not with 5 huge gumpaste roses pouring over the top of the cake.....

The client who found "5 gumpaste roses. Lace border 6inch fondant cake for $36....." is NOT your ideal customer.   If you cannot market to customers who are willing to pay premium pricing, then you are better off getting a minimum wage position at  fast food franchise.  You'll make more money at a fast food franchise.

If you are getting customers from the same place as the $36 cake decorator, then you need to seek customers elsewhere.

Everyone seems to think that just because they can make lovely, great tasting cakes, that customers will line up to pay $4 a serving.  Uh...no....  The cake decorating and baking is the easy part.  The business/marketing/advertising/pricing/closing a sale parts are the hard part. 

http://www.bakingfix.com/startandrun.html

http://www.cakeboss.com/Cake-Stuff/Articles/How-Much-Should-I-Charge

Cakes By Alie Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 14

A[@]Apti[/@] Both Fortunately and unfortunately I am embedded in a Military spouse client base. I a military spouse myself understand financial pressure. But this community has been very gracious to my business. I live in a tired oil town with a large Air Force training base. With that being said I still maintain clientele willing to pay my prices :-):-) there will be "low-ballers" everywhere we move.

Apti Posted 25 Feb 2015 , 6:01am
post #9 of 14

Ahhh... a unique client base.  I'd begin with the 2 links I posted above, then do a search on this forum with the keyword:  pricing

My thanks to your spouse and your family for serving our country!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Feb 2015 , 3:04pm
post #10 of 14

You will also get the occasional client who throws out the "So and So baker said that can make that for $30"  when there is no other baker they just want you to lower the price.  My response is always "Wow that's a really good deal.  I cannot match that price and still provide you with a quality product."

Apti Posted 25 Feb 2015 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

"Wow that's a really good deal.  I cannot match that price and still provide you with a quality product."

perfection...

Cakes By Alie Posted 25 Feb 2015 , 5:57pm
post #12 of 14

A[@]Apti[/@] As my husband would say it's our pleasure to serve! And I love that statement! !! [QUOTE]wow that's a really good deal[LEFT][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

Mybearsbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mybearsbaby Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 2:03am
post #13 of 14

Good point!! 

and OP: yes, lol!! I get them all the time. 

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 6 Mar 2015 , 6:29pm
post #14 of 14

Quote by @cakesbycathy on 25 Feb 2015 , 10:04am

"Wow that's a really good deal.  I cannot match that price and still provide you with a quality product."

I'm definitely going to use this line!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%