From Fondant To Gumpaste?

Decorating By CoinUK Updated 24 Feb 2015 , 2:26pm by CoinUK

CoinUK Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 12:23am
post #1 of 6

Hey all, wondered if I can pick your brains.

Nearly all of my cakes so far have been fondant cakes. I love working with fondant and love the challenges of it as well, but I'm finding that doing any modelling on them with fondant isn't always ideal. Just recently I've been testing Covapaste for my last few cakes and I love it for actually covering a cake, it's soft, tasty, flexible and doesn't tear or rip when I cover a cake with it. 

Problem is, for models, it's a nightmare. It's ooooo soft, anything I make immediately ends up with dents in it and collapses when I try to use it, plus it takes days for it to harden enough.

I'm looking at using gumpaste for models and wondered, can fondant be converted into gumpaste at all? I've seen a few mentions of people mixing it together but I'm not sure how that works. I've also seen mentions of people adding CMC to fondant to firm it up, but I'm not sure what that is or how it works. Also, what works out more cost effective, buying gumpaste or making it? 

Or should I just stick to fondant and find a different manufacturer for a firmer product?

Can anyone offer any advice at all?

5 replies
winniemog Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 2:01am
post #2 of 6

AI model with fondant with CMC or tylose added, they're hardeners which cause your fondant to dry more quickly. The more you add, the faster it dries. You can buy them at stores or online. Or I use modelling chocolate for modelling. Gumpaste is more expensive, I use it for flowers as you can roll it very thinly. Try the CMC with fondant, you won't look back!

costumeczar Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 3:16am
post #3 of 6

Depending on the fondant, you might not be able to make it hard enough with the tylose or CMC. If it has any kind of modeling chocolate in it it won't harden up the way fondant without it will. YOu could also model with modeling chocolate, which is really nice to work with and easy too.

CoinUK Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 9:12am
post #4 of 6

I have used modelling chocolate, even made my own several times now. I've done ok with milk chocolate but I've struggled to get the right ratio with white chocolate so far so I've stuck to fondant recently. I do intend to try it again, but one step at a time. Plus, it's a lot more expensive to make :D

I think I'll order some CMC off Amazon, they have a tub on there that's only about £5 so wouldn't be too bad for me to try it out and see how it works.

I'm going to look and try a different make of fondant as well. Satin Ice seems to get good reports but also looks to be twice the price!

julia1812 Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 6

AFondant I purely use to cover a cake or make 2D decorations. For anything 3D I add CMC / gum tex/ tylose/ tragicanth powder/ gum Arabic to the fondant (one tsp to 500g). For anything thin (flowers etc) I use gumpaste. They are all homemade. 500g of gum paste cost me 6$ to make. You can also use fondant and gum paste together in a 50:50 mix, but have never done it as adding CMC to fondant is easier for me. This might help:

CoinUK Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 6

Well, I've ordered some of the CMC from Amazon, only a few pound for 500g of it, should be more than enough for me to experiment with. :)

If it can firm up the Covapaste I've got 5kg of, I should do ok with my next cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%