Wedding Cake With Gold Decorations Questions

Decorating By taartenmaker Updated 22 Feb 2015 , 12:28am by costumeczar

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 11:59pm
post #1 of 2

hello y'all

a couple at our church is getting married and they asked me to do their cake. there are 400 people coming to the wedding. the bride and groom are bolth romani(gypsy) and they want their cake to have a lot of gold decorations. i am so exited about this cake since i also love gold colour a lot. i am planning to put golden fondant drapes on the cake and now i was wondering. do i just put yellow(best base colour for gold?)  swags on the cake and paint them gold or is there a better way? first time doing gold on a cake!

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 12:28am
post #2 of 2

If it's your first time using gold paint on a cake I'd test it out first. It will work better if you do use a yellow or goldish colored fondant or gumpaste becasue you won't have to work so hard to get the color to where you want it.

If they want a really metallic gold you might have to use gold leaf, but that costs a lot and you'll need to charge for it. Also probably for a little to practice with so that the first time you're using it isn't on the actual cake!

Get some gold luster dust and some vodka and practice with making paint and getting the righ consistency. If it's too thick it won't go on smoothly, but if it's too thin it won't cover the fondant the right way. It's something that you just have to do yourself to get it to where it works for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%