How To Handle Charge/return Of Cake/cupcake Stand

Business By pmom01 Updated 22 Feb 2015 , 2:20am by johnson6ofus

pmom01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmom01 Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 8

AMy daughter and I have had a side business of baking custom cakes for about a year now....we are now receiving more requests for cake/cupcake combinations. This requires a specific 3 tier stand. Can someone help us with correct protocol when using these stands? Do you take deposit? Is there "disposable" cake stand that could be included in price? That way we wouldn't have to worry about getting it back in good condition! Any help on this topic would be appreciated....

We actually have 2 requests for this cake/cupcake combo on same weekend in March

7 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 8

The bees!  Your cake and cupcake combo is adorable!

Typically if you want your stands back you would take a deposit to cover the cost of the stand that would be returned at the time your stand is returned intact.  There are innate problems with this arrangement.  Your stand doesn't look too complicated. You just need to figure out the cheapest way to make the center parts that you wrap with ribbon - I'd be scoping out Home Depot for an economical plastic solution. There are also cheap cardboard things you could get at the Dollar Store, but they look like they're from the dollar store... You could just include your stand costs with the cake or the customer has to work it out themselves and you're done.

pmom01 Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 4:30am
post #3 of 8

AThank you for your reply....I was hoping I could find a stand that was not very expensive and just include with price...It is just such a hassle to have to retrieve a stand from someone you don't even know...and that's assuming it will be in same condition

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 8

For my stands I charge whatever the cost of the stand is.  They need to give it to me in cash.  The stand must be returned no later than Tuesday and once returned, as long as it's in the same condition I gave it to them in I return 50% of the money.

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 8

I've seen this made very easily using 3 cake boards, of increasing circumference with two styrofoam blocks separating them.  you can decorate any way you want.

http://homeofhomemadetreasures.blogspot.com/2012/04/diy-cupcake-stand.html

pmom01 Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 2:17am
post #6 of 8

AThank you all for the great ideas! Looks like my daughter and I will have to discuss the great options you all have given us! Thanks again

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 2:20am
post #7 of 8

check **********.com

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 2:20am
post #8 of 8

that is Dallas Foam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%