Make Fondant Stand Up (Border)

Decorating By bakingmywaytowealth Updated 20 Feb 2015 , 5:41am by bakingmywaytowealth

bakingmywaytowealth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmywaytowealth Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 4

Hi!

I need to make a TV cake with a fondant border around the screen. How do I keep the fondant standing up right? So basically a thick layer of fondant going around the screen part of the TV cake. Do I sit it out tonight to get hard or is there something special I should do so that it will stay standing around the screen?

Hope that's not too confusing... :-)

3 replies
Trident II Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trident II Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 3:49am
post #2 of 4

AYou can let the fondant dry for several days or blend in some gumpaste. I made an "Angry Birds" birthday cake and needed the bird's topknot to stick straight out the back from the top of the cake. By mixing fondant and gumpaste 50/50 it dried stiff enough to stick out over the edge of the cake. Tint the gumpaste to match the fondant or you will spend time trying to match color later. Good luck!

Trident II Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trident II Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 3:55am
post #3 of 4

The red piece on top is the fondant/gumpaste mix

bakingmywaytowealth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmywaytowealth Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 5:41am
post #4 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trident II 

You can let the fondant dry for several days or blend in some gumpaste. I made an "Angry Birds" birthday cake and needed the bird's topknot to stick straight out the back from the top of the cake. By mixing fondant and gumpaste 50/50 it dried stiff enough to stick out over the edge of the cake. Tint the gumpaste to match the fondant or you will spend time trying to match color later. Good luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Very nice Angry Bird cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%