Need Advise On A Stand Up Yoda Cake

Decorating By 2sweetcookies Updated 20 Jun 2017 , 2:18pm by cutiger

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 24

I'm making a stand up yoda cake this weekend and was wondering the best way to make it. Should I use the stand up teddy bear pan or stack 6" rounds and use a half circle (or whole)for the head then shape it??????

I searched the gallery and saw some AMAZING Yoda's I really hope to come close to duplicating one, but not sure how they were made.

i;m going to try the MMF, any tips tricks suggestions would be so GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much

23 replies
jcakes17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcakes17 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 24

You could try making it like duff(foodnetwork channel) makes his dogs.

socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 24

How to make Yoda!

I used a 6" round tin and a pudding steamer bowl shaped tin as seen in the attached photo.

I stacked the cooled cakes and crumb coated in buttercream. Shaped the feet out of green fondant and put them in place.

then placed a ball of fondant on the top of the cake for his neck which i then covered on green fondant.

I then thinly rolled out a rectangle of brown fondant and cut a rounded collar on one end. I then placed it down the front of the cake and scrunched the bottom up a little. I rolled out a strip of fondant for his belt and stuck it across his waist.

Now for the fun part... his head!!

I needed his head to be able to support his ears so i made it from chocolate crackle (like rice crispy treats) I formed the chocolate crackle onto a ball and put it in the freezer to set firmly. (I inserted a bamboo skewer into the ball before it set)once really firm I carved a rough yoda shaped head and then pushed the skewer into the cake so the head was just touching the neck. I then covered the head in buttercream. I placed a raised teardrop shaped piece of fondant where his cheeks would be on either side and a raised triangle for his nose, a raised circle with a line dented into it for his mouth and two small sausages for his eyebrows. Next I rolled out a thin layer of green fondant and cover the entire head smoothing over the fondant shapes underneath.
I marked the wrinkles onto the fondant with the back of a knife (or modeling tools if you have them!)I press in the mouth the same way.
I made a nose out of green fondant and put ontop of the "nose bump" I made earlier. I rolled three small sausages of green fondant and place over the bridge of the nose to look like wrinkles.
Next I made the eyes with white fondant and a small circle of green fondant. I attached them to the cake with a little water. I rolled out three small thin sausages of green fondant for each eye lid and two small thin sausages for under each eye, I attached them to the eyes with water.
I then rolled out two eyebrow shapes and put them over the eyebrow bumps.

Next I rolled out yodas coat using some cream coloured fondant. I cut a rectangle shape and cut out a small semi-circle from the middle of the long side for the neck then draped the fondant over the cake and trimed away the excess. I stuck the edges down at the front to the edge of the brown clothing with water.
Then I rolled two thick sausages of fondant for each arm and stuck them to yodas body. I shaped two hands out of green fondant and attached them to the body at the base of the "arm sausages". I thinly roll out some cream fondant for the sleves of the coat and stuck them over the arm shapes and a little over the hands to cover his wrists. I then used some brown chalk colour to age the coat by randomly dusting brown patches all over it.

Now for the ears!

I added some tylose gum to some green fondant for the ears.(this made them hold there shape)I rolled out two large tear drop shapes for the ears, pressed in the shape of the inner ear then inserted a toothpick into the side of Yodas head where the ear would be leaving just over half the toothpick hanging out, I put some water on the ear where it would be touching the head and pushed the ear onto the toothpick hold it in place for about 20 seconds then I left them to dry.

I wrote the birthday message on the cake board the way Yoda would speek...."30 you are" but If I had more room I would have written "Happy Birthday you must have" (I forgot to take a photo after I added the writing)

I hope this was easy to follow! I have attached a series of photo's showing some of the stages of building this cake that might help to show how I did it!

It took about three and a half hours to decorate but was much easier that it looks!

Take care,

Sandra
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 24

holy moly....what a great set of instructions and that cake is beyond excellent.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:24am
post #5 of 24

I did a upperbody yoda once. I used 3 8" cakes and a half round

http://www.cakesbymaryann.com/Yoda8G.jpg

bluehen92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluehen92 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:34am
post #6 of 24

OMG, those Yodas are fantastic!

-Lisa

2sweetcookies Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:19pm
post #7 of 24

SOCAKE,
THANKS YOU SO MUCH!!!!
OH my gosh!! Your Yoda is so awesome, Just amazing!!

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this all. What a BIG help!! The pictures really help to, I can't wait to make it. I love a good challenge.
Can I bother to ask what green you used? I was going to use juniper green i'm not sure if it's too mossy?
Again thank you, I was going to wing it, but now I have your directions to follow it will be so much easier.
Much apprecited
Deb

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 24

Socake-
Let me just say I got lost in your gallery admiring your work! I probably have every one of your creations saved to my favorites now. You are so talented and are truely a Cake Artist! Bravo!

socake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetcookies

SOCAKE,
Can I bother to ask what green you used?
Deb

I used a combination of wiltons moss green and wiltons leaf green.
Can't wait to see your cake!

Sandra

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 7:49am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

holy moly....what a great set of instructions and that cake is beyond excellent.

Yeah socake!

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 10:09am
post #11 of 24

Sandra,

I agree with everyone else your yoda is amazing, the detail on face is fantastic. Well done thumbs_up.gif

2sweetcookies Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:42pm
post #12 of 24

YAHOO!! I did it!

Although my Yoda looks a lot like E.T. without the ears. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, I should have shaped the head different, made the cheeks smaller and the mouth bigger, all in all I think he looks good. This was my first time covering a cake with fondant (MMF). I had a lot of fun making him. Great idea using rice krispies for the head, I couldn't have done it without all the instructions.

I did this cake for my nephew so I didn't get paid but I was just wondering what a cake like this should go for. I do live in a small town where everyone is used of grocery store cakes.

thanks
LL
LL

2sweetcookies Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 2:45pm
post #13 of 24

sorry for the 2 images i'm still getting used to this site

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 8:48pm
post #14 of 24

You did a nice job!
I find mmf hard to work with - to drape. It stretches too much- yours looks really good!
As for price- I've decided that I'm charging an automatic $20 more for any shaped or intricate cake- and may charge more if it is warranted. There's so many additional expenses, and MUCH more time involved than with decorating a standard cake. You are right- they won't get that from a grocery store- it is a SPECIALTY CAKE- charge accordingly!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 24

Oh my! Both Yoda cakes are outstanding! Great job, people! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 12:54am
post #16 of 24

Wow I love all the yoda cakes!!! icon_smile.gif

2sweetcookies, sculpted cakes take forever to make so you need to take into account how many hours you spent working on it. I typically charge a MINIMUM of $80-$100 for anything sculpted....although I did recently do a 3D puppy for my neighbor for $60.

Socake, I like how you supported the head. Do you think it would be possible to use cake for the head, supported on the circle of fondant??

Courtney

socake Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:51am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sweetcookies

YAHOO!! I did it!

And did it really well! He looks so cute! The green you used turned out perfectly and for your first time using mmf you did an awsome job.

Sandra

socake Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:59am
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacc

Socake, I like how you supported the head. Do you think it would be possible to use cake for the head, supported on the circle of fondant??

Courtney

I guess you could, you would have to use a very firm cake that could support the weight of the fondant on the head and put a center support right up the middle.

I am really not that experienced and most of my cakes are just experiments! Maybe someone who has tried a similar thing could give you some advice. I am just a hobbiest that will give anything a go and I cross my fingers that it works!!!

Sandra

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 7:13am
post #19 of 24

Oh this is PERFECT! I just got an order to do a Star Wars cake about 15 mins ago via email.

Do you think rather then the rice crispy you could use a Styrofoam for the head?

socake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:23am
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

Do you think rather then the rice crispy you could use a Styrofoam for the head?

I think you could, you would just have to use extra fondant to get the yoda shaped head. You could just build up the top of the head with fondant to make it look less round from the styrofoam ball.

If you did use styrofoam then they could keep the head as a momento!

cre8tive Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8tive Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:04pm
post #21 of 24

Thanks for the instructions. I just received an order for a 3D Yoda.

This site and the sharing spirit of decorators is AWESOME! icon_biggrin.gif

funfoodie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funfoodie2 Posted 8 May 2007 , 6:10pm
post #22 of 24

Excellent cakes! I guess the force was with you! haha (sorry, couldn't resist) icon_razz.gif

Dboscia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dboscia Posted 19 Jun 2017 , 7:56pm
post #23 of 24

I just wanted to say that your instructions on this Yoda was a life saver. My son just graduated high school and loves Star Wars. I used your instructions and made the cloak in his school colors and put a graduation cap on him. My son was so happy!! Thank you so much!!

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 20 Jun 2017 , 2:18pm
post #24 of 24

You nailed his face!  That is awesome and very difficult to do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%