First Rosette Cake Heeeelppppppp!!

Decorating By FutureCakeBoss Updated 20 Feb 2015 , 4:14pm by julia1812

FutureCakeBoss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FutureCakeBoss Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 11

ASo I am starting to assemble my first rosette cake in a few days and I need advice! It's a 2 tier cake and one of my tiers is rosette and the other is sequins.

The last cake I made was a mess, my crumb coat didn't crust and my filling was soft and oozing out. :-( :-( :-( How do I prevent this from happening again?

I was thinking that my crumb coat layer which was smbc was maybe not the right recipe to use or I didn't make it right. What do you guys use for your crumb coat layer? And for what goes under your fondent?

I am teaching myself all about this so please go easy on me ahaha

10 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 11

ASMBC doesn't crust. You refrigerate it to get it firm before you put the fondant on. The filling between the layers should not be oozing out. It does sound like your SMBC was too soft. Here is everything you need for a successful SMBC: [URL=https://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/]https://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/[/URL]

Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 11

Did you use a dam between the layers?  Did you let the tier settle?

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 11

AI do not sell cake covered in fondant yet. But practice a lot with it. The best under fondant for me is chocolate ganache and dam with chocolate ganache is very sturdy. My SMBC is very soft and fluffy I don't like it under fondant.

FutureCakeBoss Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 5:14am
post #5 of 11

ASorr

Original message sent by Natka81

I do not sell cake covered in fondant yet. But practice a lot with it. The best under fondant for me is chocolate ganache and dam with chocolate ganache is very sturdy. My SMBC is very soft and fluffy I don't like it under fondant.

I will try the chocolate ganache method! Thanks for the recommendation!

FutureCakeBoss Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 5:17am
post #6 of 11

A

Original message sent by leah_s

Did you use a dam between the layers?  Did you let the tier settle?

I did do a dam and let the tiers settle for even upto 8 hrs and it just would not work. I'm pretty sure that pastrybaglady is right and it was the smbc recipe I was using.

FutureCakeBoss Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 5:20am
post #7 of 11

A

Original message sent by Pastrybaglady

SMBC doesn't crust. You refrigerate it to get it firm before you put the fondant on. The filling between the layers should not be oozing out. It does sound like your SMBC was too soft. Here is everything you need for a successful SMBC: [URL=https://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/]https://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/[/URL]

Good luck!

Thanks you! Your are defiantly right about that, I will defiantly read through the article! :grin::grin::grin:

FutureCakeBoss Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 3:10pm
post #8 of 11

ADo you think I could use whipped cream for the rosettes?

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 11

AIf you said you your SMBC wasn't stiff enough, whipped cream is fluffier and lighter than SMBC.

FutureCakeBoss Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 5:22pm
post #10 of 11

ASits wasent stiff enough under fondent but Im asking now if I use stabilized whipped cream to pipe the rosettes would that work. The client doesn't like a lot of buttercream

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 11

AYes, whipped cream will work fine. But make it last minute and use a stabilizer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%