Cakes Are Baking Unevenly?!

Decorating By tessholly1 Updated 18 Feb 2015 , 11:22pm by leah_s

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 5

AI'm so frustrated, I have recently had to start baking in a different oven then I used to and ever since my cakes bake really unevenly.. 1 side is about 4 inches while the other is only about 21/2 inches!! This then means that I can only get 2x 1" layers out of each sponge when I should get 3 and so have a lot of wasted cake! Does anybody have any tips on how to get my cakes more even so I can get 3 full 1" layers out of each one? PS. I use 3" high cake pans AND I have also already tried turning the pans during baking!!

4 replies
Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 5

I found this article which may pinpoint your problem.

http://www.bhg.com/advice/food/baking/why-do-my-cakes-always-turn-out-uneven/

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 5

One and a half inches is significant. Check to see if your oven is level. Use a tool, as pictured below; or put a jelly roll pan in the middle of a rack and put a ball in the center of the pan. If the ball rolls, your oven is not level. Adjust the legs on one side. If that is not possible, adjust the wire racks by adding height under one side of a rack. Use a flat wooden tongue depressor, dowel, or folded foil. (If you choose this method, make sure it's something that will not burn; and be aware that the rack will need to stay in position, so no pulling rack out to check food). 

If this is not the problem, lower your oven temp by 50 degrees and see if cakes bake more evenly. Good luck!

Image result for level tools construction 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 5

our oven isn't level.  There are leveling feet underneath it.  You can adjust them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 5

your, not our

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%