Salt Dough Vs Soda Dough?

Decorating By KCakeSide Updated 10 Nov 2015 , 2:53am by KCakeSide

KCakeSide Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 3

I have shell and starfish molds I made out of sculpey from back when I didn't know any better (food-grade and all that).
I now have an order for a cake that wants fondant shells etc.

It's a pity to not use the molds, and I don't think I saved the shells they were made from. I do have 2-part food grade silicone to make new molds, but now no shells to make them from.

Do you think it would work to use the molds with salt dough or cornstarch dough with the sculpey molds? Then I would re-make the silicone molds they way they should have been made in the first place.

Does anybody have experience/advice or preference for the veritable plethora of bake-to-rock-hard dough recipes out there?

2 replies
KCakeSide Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 1:13am
post #2 of 3

Okay, so I went ahead and did the soda clay and so far it has worked beautifully! I still need to trim them and remake my molds, but they turned out really well!

KCakeSide Posted 10 Nov 2015 , 2:53am
post #3 of 3

I keep coming back to this post to find the recipe for the soda clay. It's so handy!

I'm using it again for another cake. I have a baseball cake to make and I only have one mold of a baseball bat that suits the design. I want to cast isomalt bats but the stuff is insanely hot and I don't want it to take a million years to pour one mold over and over. I have used the soda clay to make several bats which I have then molded using my RTV silicone plastique. AWESOME!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%