Making A Cloud Shaped Cake

Decorating By pj22 Updated 18 Feb 2015 , 3:21pm by pj22

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 5:21am
post #1 of 8

Can anyone please suggest how is the best way to make small individual cloud shaped cakes? Something like an activity for kids to work on with cake & frosting. I can't find a cloud shaped pan anywhere, so would it best to carve it by hand?

Don't want anything big.. just the 2 inch tall and maybe a 6" or 8" diameter/size..

The closest I found was a petal pan, but will that look too flowery? Thanks!

7 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 7:56am
post #2 of 8

Even though I read your post twice, I still can't quite figure out what your goal is for the cake.   Are kids going to EACH decorate a small cloud?  Are YOU going to decorate a lot of small clouds and give to kids?   Are multiple kids going to decorate one small cake?  How old are the kids? 

If they are under 3rd grade age, give 'em a cupcake (standard or large muffin size), and a frosting bag with a #12 round tip.  Show them how to make a cloud.  Done.

p.s.  Kids LOVE sprinkles!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 8

I agree with Apti!  If it is important that the cake be cloud shaped, how about giving out several mini cupcakes each that could be frosted together into various cloud shapes?  

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 8

Another thought would be to use large cookie cutters.  You could then either cut out shapes from a sheet cake (use a relatively dense recipe and have it partially frozen), or you could wrap the bottom with foil and bake in the cookie cutter.That could take a while if you have to make more than a few, unless you have multiple cutters.  Coppergifts.com makes very nice cookie cutters, and will make custom cutters quickly as well.  They have several standard cloud shapes up to  4.5 " .  I have one of their cutters in front of me and it is 1 1/8 inch tall.  Perhaps they could make a wider/deeper one - I have never had the occasion to ask about that.  HTH, good luck!

pj22 Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the responses! Yes, each child is going to decorate a cloud shaped cake. I thought it would be an easy activity for 7 year olds, as they would only have to spread white b/c. There will be 26 kids.

No need for me to mess with colored frosting in different colors, sprinkles etc. 

These will also be their party favor, instead of goody bags, so I was hoping for the cake to be a single layer (2") cake at least 5" - 6" in size?

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 8

I would make a 1/2 sheet of cake and use a cloud cookie cutter to cut out the clouds.  If you can't find a cloud cookie cutter, you could just bend up a 5 or 6 inch round cutter and use that.

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:59am
post #7 of 8

great idea, cut them out of sheets!

pj22 Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 8

Yep! And maybe I could possibly use a paper cloud template and carve out from 1/2 sheet cakes.. hopefully I'll get 2-3 out of each. Thanks everyone!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%