Cracks In Buttercream

Decorating By FabSteph Updated 17 Feb 2015 , 8:03am by Apti

FabSteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FabSteph Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 6

AHello fellow cakers!!!! I had a question in regards to working with buttercream. It seems like when I ice a cake with BC that whenever it sets, any movement of the cake will cause cracks in the buttercream, especially when transporting the cake (See Pics)[IMG ALT=""]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3330264/width/350/height/700[/IMG] . Im sure this is common but it really bothers me because it takes away from the final product. Does that mean my buttercream is too dry once it sets. Im sorry if this seems like a "duh" question, but i would really like to find a resolution or maybe suggestions for a great tasting buttercream recipes? ? Anyhow, Thank You for any help or suggestions you can give! :-)

5 replies
thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 6

AYour cake board is too flimsy.

cakesbyzuly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyzuly Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 6

Well, it has happened to me a couple of times, and when it happens is because the cake board is not strong enough.  It hasn't happened to me when using a sturdy base.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 6

Sturdier cake board [keeps the cake from flexing] and a bit more fat and/or moisture in your icing should take care of it. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 3:39am
post #5 of 6

Yes, agree w/the other that you need a thicker/firmer board.  I also notice your board is not covered at all.  Always cover a board w/some type of grease proof paper - be it freezer wrap, plastic tablecloth or special foil paper made to food use. 

Also it's possible you b'cream is not creamy enough.  Add about 2 Tablespoon fat (be butter, Crisco or ??) more to you recipe.  You don't want to thin it by adding liquid - instead you want to make it creamy w/more fat :)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 8:03am
post #6 of 6

Reynolds 18" wide freezer wrap is available at WalMart.  Keep the shiny side up. 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reynolds-Plastic-Coated-Freezer-Paper-150-sf/11027102

1/2" foamcore boards are great for sheet cakes covered with freezer wrap.   Available at craft stores like Michaels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%