Coloring Smbc ???

Decorating By Island girl Updated 16 Feb 2015 , 9:56pm by maybenot

Island girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Island girl Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 8:39am
post #1 of 5

AI need to color smbc several different colors for a cake. The base of the cake is gray. The accents and borders are bright orange, lime green, and turquoise blue. I've never tried to color smbc before. Is achieving these colors going to be hard? I think I read somewhere that I can't use gel coloring because it will fade or color won't take. What about powdered colors? Any ideas or tips please! Tia!

4 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5

AUse oil based/candy colorings. Smbc will have no whiteness power of ps cornstarch that abc does, to hold onto the color. Yellow base of butter will be more pronounced. I've read in the past some have luck heating a bit of the colored buttercream and beating it back in to help darken the tone. Be aware if you plan to use a hot /warm spatula to do your final smoothing the color will noticeably change. I don't do saturated colors in smbc, but I hope this helps. (I'd use a hybrid like Charlottes)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 5

AGel color works good. For big batches it's easier to color the meringue as it takes the color better than the greasy butter. In that case powers work fine. But if it's small amounts stick to gel.

Island girl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Island girl Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 5

AThankyou.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 5

Powdered colors also work well.  Crystal Colors [sugarpaste.com] uses pure color lakes, so for saturated colors, you don't use as much and they don't change the flavor or texture of the BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%