Naked Cake & Powdered Sugar Question

Decorating By lkern777 Updated 17 Feb 2015 , 3:29pm by lkern777

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 8

I have a request for a naked carrot cake with cream cheese icing. They want powdered sugar on the outside of the cake.

My question is, since the cream cheese needs to be refrigerated, will the condensation that develops after removing from the fridge soak up any powdered sugar that I try to put on it?

Should I wait until I deliver the cake to put the powdered sugar on?

7 replies
lkern777 Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 8

I should clarify that the cream cheese icing is in between the layers.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 8

not all cream cheese icing needs to be refrigerated.  Check Earlene Moore's recipe on her website.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 8

AYes, any moisture on the cake will render the powdered sugar invisible. Even if you wait til delivery to do it (and it's a messy job which you would have to clean up at the venue!), you will have only 5-10 mins till the sugar soaks into the cake. Use a decorators cream cheese like Leah suggests so you don't need the fridge.

lkern777 Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 8

AThanks.

I checked out her recipe and it has a lot less cream cheese in it than my normal recipe. I normally use Edna de la Cruz's crusting buttercream. Does Earlene's have a good flavor?

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 8

A"Non-melting" powdered sugar is out there, but I have no experience in using it when cake goes in and out of fridge.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 1:58am
post #7 of 8

AYes I've used snow sugar before (it's powdered sugar with a little fat to stop it dissolving), but only on room temp items, not something in the fridge. Prob depends on the humidity of your fridge - mine is low humidity so even gumpaste decorations hold up...have you got time for a test? That's what I would do!

lkern777 Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by winniemog 

Yes I've used snow sugar before (it's powdered sugar with a little fat to stop it dissolving), but only on room temp items, not something in the fridge. Prob depends on the humidity of your fridge - mine is low humidity so even gumpaste decorations hold up...have you got time for a test? That's what I would do!

My fridge is low humidity, but coming out of the fridge is another story for me. All of my items end up sweating when they come out. I don't have the order yet anyway. I gave the guy some options and I'm waiting to hear back. I told him that even the non-melting stuff might not work, so he probably won't order anyway.

I appreciate the information. I had never heard of non-melting powdered sugar before, so I learned something new. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%