Friday Night Cake Club For 2/13/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 17 Feb 2015 , 12:55pm by melmar02

catlharper Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 3:13am
post #1 of 34

Opening up another session of the FNCC. Everyone is welcome to share their weeks, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or provide help if they can!

Happy Valentine's Day Everyone!

Cat

33 replies
catlharper Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 3:17am
post #2 of 34

Hi everyone! This past week has been busy. Here is the photo of the cake I did for my friend (wasn't sure if I'd shared it or not last week) on Sunday:

Chocolate cake with chocolate brownie buttercream filling.

And here is the Aurora cake I did for Icing Smiles! 

I have two more cakes this next week. A small one for our Valentine's Day dinner party and a bigger Mermaid cake for our younger daughter's birthday party next Saturday. I'll share photos of those next Friday night!

Hope everyone had a great week!

Cat

julia1812 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 5:33am
post #3 of 34

Hi cat,

wow, the cakes are awesome. Would love to have a bite of the fruity cake!!! How did you get the second layer on? I would leave finger prints all over and ruin it most probably :-O

I didn't manage to post my son's 2nd birthday cake last week since the party went on until late in the evening, more guest coming on sunday (I'm a day ahead of you...). Anyway, here it is:

For his actual birthday last Tuesday, I made him Minion cupcakes to take to preschool. Not sure if any of his friends knew what they are, LOL:

And for yesterday I had an Ice age cake. We all love Scrat, so it was lots of fun for me to make it!

Looking forward to more cakes to look at today :)

Have a lovely Valentine's day every <3

catlharper Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 5:46am
post #4 of 34

@julia1812 I love all of your cakes but ADORE the minion cupcakes! Seriously cute! I know way too many here, especially my mom, who would love them.

As for the chocolate cake...I only iced the sides first then stacked it on top and finally added more icing and fruit. So no fingerprints to worry about. I was more worried about how it was going to cut but, surprisingly, it cut beautifully!

MBalaska Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 8:09am
post #5 of 34

@catlharper Your very berry cake has me very envious.  It looks scrumptious!

@julia1812 I'm crazy about your good & bad minions, loved the movie!

julia1812 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 9:16am
post #6 of 34

[email protected], I envy your friend! Blueberries cost here 10$ for 100g, that's if you find them at all... Just ridiculous. Told my friend yesterday how much I miss all the European fruits, plugging cherries from the trees or strawberries in the field etc. Think that'll be 90% of what I'll eat when I go back on holiday next summer! And might even be able to afford that cake then, LOL!

@MBalaska: We all love the minions! My kids even do "hampbei" for cheers and eat "gelato", hahaha. But since he's only 3 years, his class mates hadn't had a clue. Hmm, didn't bother him, he was happy

remnant3333 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 34

Wow, Cat, your berry cake looks scrumptious!!! I love cakes with lots of fruit on them. Julia, I also love  your cakes. They are cute!! My son's birthday is March 3rd so I will be making him a cake soon. He loves lots of fruit so maybe I will make something with lots of fruit on it. 

melmar02 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 1:35pm
post #8 of 34

AFruit and chocolate - yum! The characters on the ice age kit are awesome! It's been awhile, but I had two this week. This quilled heart cake, and this quilted cake. [IMG ALT="6, 8, and 10" square cake covered in fondant with white, pink, and dark pink quilled hearts for Valentine's Day."]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3329305/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT="6, 8 and 10" square cakes with quilting and fondant ribbon. The broaches are real."]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3329379/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

melbakescakes Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 34

AJulia1812 your figures are amazing! Here is an R2D2 cake that I originally made for my husband but then a customer ordered it as well. [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3329654/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

melmar02 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 4:16pm
post #10 of 34

Melbakescakes - my husband would love that too!

Gerle Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 34

melmar, I love both your cakes.  I've been wanting to learn how to do those quilled hearts.  Haven't tried it yet.  Melbakes, love R2D2, but that is one type of cake that is out of my realm of baking at this point.  Maybe some time in the future.  Cat that berry cake looks sooo good!  And your Aurora cake is beautiful.  I haven't made one of those cakes in quite awhile.  Julia your cakes are beautiful as well.  I haven't actually made cakes in awhile so I'm out of practice.  I need to get practicing, though, because I'm supposed to do my youngest son's wedding cake in June.  I've got to get busy practicing turkish tulips and other flowers really soon.  I just don't know what other flowers yet as she hasn't decided on any other than the turkish tulips.  I'm doing a cake tasting for them on February 22nd so will be busy this next week getting the cakes baked and various fillings and frostings made.  I'm actually going to make cupcakes for the tastings.  She likes white cake the best, so I'm just going to make some white cakes with various types of flavorings (wedding bouquet, homemade vanilla, fiori di sicilia and princess cake) that way she can decide which flavor of white she wants.  Told my hubby he will be on his own for meals and such for a few days.  He's used to it, thank goodness!  She has decided, though that she wants a cake for them to cut, but she also wants cupcakes to serve, so I'll be baking some chocolate cupcakes as well as white for the wedding so will also have chocolate cupcakes for her to taste on the 22nd with different fillings and frostings to try so she knows for sure what she wants to serve.  Her matron of honor is going to be there, too, so she'll help decide.  If my son had his way, it'd be an ice cream cake....those are his favorite!

CoinUK Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 34

Here's my latest, finished this yesterday for a friends daughters 1st birthday. It looks.......meh. I was not happy with it, had a LOT of issues with the figures, especially with the caterpillar and globug at the front. Lots of fondant cracking and sagging. Very disappointed with it, especially when I see the amazing cakes above! :D

Still she was happy with it. Guess we're our own worst critics, really :)

melmar02 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 7:01pm
post #13 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoinUK 

Here's my latest, finished this yesterday for a friends daughters 1st birthday. It looks.......meh. I was not happy with it, had a LOT of issues with the figures, especially with the caterpillar and globug at the front. Lots of fondant cracking and sagging. Very disappointed with it, especially when I see the amazing cakes above! :D

Still she was happy with it. Guess we're our own worst critics, really :)

It's hard to get dark colors without destroying the consistency of fondant. I have to use pre-colored, or at least mix pre-colored with my fondant to keep it from turning into a cracking, crumbly mess. I think it's adorable - are they the little bug band from Dora?

catlharper Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 7:02pm
post #14 of 34

Good Morning Everyone! It's now Valentine's Day here in the US...a chocolate cake is baking in my oven as I type! We are having carnitas enchiladas with spanish rice and salad for dinner...invited my mom and her best friend to dinner so I'll dress up the table with some dollar store decorations and serve pink lemonade!  After that we have an art gallery opening reception due to a friend of ours showing his first piece. It got recognition so he'll get his award tonight. Then back home again to watch some chick flick...there are a few that even my hubby enjoys! LOL! Hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday (those of you who are reading this on Sunday) and for those in the US hope you find time to spoil those you love, yourself and your pets...love to everyone!

@julia1812 blueberries are not very inexpensive here but still about half of what you pay! We live close to Oregon where they grow in abundance...in August. So this time of year it's about $5 per small package. Same with the blackberries and strawberries. In the summer they are flooding the markets here but right now they are a real splurge!

@melmar02 I love your "green" cake. I love your quilled cake! I have tried to quill and had very bad luck with it. I think I wasn't patient enough. I have some pink fondant left over from the Aurora cake...maybe I'll try just one heart to go on our Valentine's cake for today!

@melbakescakes I don't think we have a member of our family who wouldn't be simply THRILLED with that R2D2 cake! It's totally awesome!

@Gerle Oh my...Princess Cake. My total favorite! My daughter has a bakery that makes them near their home and so I know that I will get this treat each birthday!  The tasting sounds like fun to have but a lot of work as well. How fun to be a part of the day!

@CoinUK I totally adore your cake! I know it was a 1st Birthday cake but my 73 year old Mom would have adored that! Sounds like the fondant issues didn't make it a fun one to work on. I've had days like that. Last year I had a cake that had all sorts of flowers needed and it rained and rained and rained...the humidity was horrid. The fondant was awful to work with and the flowers wouldn't move the way I wanted them to and in the end I hated that cake. The client adored it! Go figure, right? Hard to sit there with a cake that frustrated you so much and try to understand what the client loves about it. At Christmas I delivered another (easier) cake to the same client and she had a friend with her who also said the flower cake was simply amazing and my first thought was "are you people blind?!" LOL! Oh well...we are harder on ourselves than we need to be...that's why we keep growing as cakers and artists..cause we are never truly happy with our work!

Off to cake!

love,

Cat

melmar02 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 34

Gerle -

Go for it! I watched a lot of you tube videos on paper quilling first. I added cmc/tylose to my fondant and cut it into 1/2 inch strips. Then I used a toothpick to help curl the strips, made the shapes, and let them dry for about a week... I had some spare time last week, but I'm sure they would set up faster. I attached them with melted chocolate.

SweetShop5 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 7:43pm
post #16 of 34

Here are some gender reveal cake pops I made last night! Still working on my big order for tomorrow, so I'll be posting more pictures later!

Gerle Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 8:06pm
post #17 of 34

melmar, thanks for the info.  I'll give it a try.  It may have to wait until after June, though, since right now my son's wedding is the foremost thing on my mind.  I have to confess I'm very nervous about it because it's the most important event I've made a cake and cupcakes for since I started dabbling in cake decorating.  I was very excited and proud that they asked me, but also very, VERY nervous!  My son has great confidence in my abilities and as you know as fellow cake decorators, more so than we sometimes have in ourselves.  But I am NOT a pro, I'm just a hobby baker and decorator.  I want to make him and his fiancee very proud that they picked me to do this for them, so I know I'm going to be really, really hard on myself during this process.  I do plan to spend lots of time practicing, but I also know that that does not necessarily mean I won't possibly make mistakes closer to the actual event.  I just figure if I start now as far as making the flowers and some of the things that CAN be made ahead of time, I can use what was successful and get rid of the mistakes.  Then I just have to worry about the cake and cupcakes themselves closer to the event.  What I really need to do is just relax.  I'm already making myself a nervous wreck!!  I keep telling myself I can do this, I know I can, I just have to get past the fear of failure and dwell on my son's confidence in me!  But again, thanks for the info and I will give quilling a try this year.

CoinUK Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 12:51am
post #18 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by melmar02 

It's hard to get dark colors without destroying the consistency of fondant. I have to use pre-colored, or at least mix pre-colored with my fondant to keep it from turning into a cracking, crumbly mess. I think it's adorable - are they the little bug band from Dora?

It's more a case of using new fondant that I'm not as used to. I'm trying out Covapaste, which tastes nice and covers a cake well enough, but gets very soft for figures, so I tried making the parts for the figures several days in advance to firm them up. Trouble was, when I tried to insert the smaller pieces, like arms and legs, into the body parts, they caused it to crack. Next time I'm going to do it differently. Make the main parts in advance and the smaller parts on the day and just glue them to the side, rather then push them into the body parts. That's how I did the ladybug on the top and that was the only one that came out ok :)

Also, the characters are fromBig Bugs Band, a show on Baby TV over here in the UK. I spent several days poring over Youtube videos and Google Images researching them. My kids are all a little old for it now :D

CoinUK Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 12:54am
post #19 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlharper 

@CoinUK I totally adore your cake! I know it was a 1st Birthday cake but my 73 year old Mom would have adored that! Sounds like the fondant issues didn't make it a fun one to work on. I've had days like that. Last year I had a cake that had all sorts of flowers needed and it rained and rained and rained...the humidity was horrid. The fondant was awful to work with and the flowers wouldn't move the way I wanted them to and in the end I hated that cake. The client adored it! Go figure, right? Hard to sit there with a cake that frustrated you so much and try to understand what the client loves about it. At Christmas I delivered another (easier) cake to the same client and she had a friend with her who also said the flower cake was simply amazing and my first thought was "are you people blind?!" LOL! Oh well...we are harder on ourselves than we need to be...that's why we keep growing as cakers and artists..cause we are never truly happy with our work!

Ain't that the truth!! :D

Every time I do a cake, I just flaw after flaw on it, meanwhile my friends and family ooh and ahh like I've painted the Sistene Chapel! LOL

Thanks for the kind words all, does make me feel better when i read that others feel the same way :)

CoinUK Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 12:58am
post #20 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerle 

What I really need to do is just relax.  I'm already making myself a nervous wreck!!  I keep telling myself I can do this, I know I can, I just have to get past the fear of failure and dwell on my son's confidence in me!  

@Gerle I'm sure you'll do an amazing job and you have my utmost respect. I don't know if I'll ever be brave enough to do a wedding cake and anyone who does one has me in awe!

Trust in yourself and I'm sure you'll be amazing :)

Marian64 Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 5:13am
post #22 of 34

AAwesome cakes everyone. @Gerle I am sure you will do an amazing job on your son's wedding cake. I made my son's this past October and everyone loved it. I see the flaws, but no one else mentioned them.

Just do a lot of prep work in advance. I measured out all the dry ingredients in a ziploc bag about a month in advance. I also started baking and freezing cakes the week before. Since I used the ABC icing I made it early and froze it also. No one could tell that I had frozen the cake. Still almost ran out of time. She wanted ruffles on two of the layers and I was literally to the last minute (with help) getting them on. I was never so relieved to finish a cake. Can't wait till June to see the cake.

FlRugbyChick Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 9:49am
post #23 of 34

AHey everyone, I love the cakes! Especially the ice age, and swirling hearts. My cake this week was small and simple, but I think I also see flaws in it that only I see. I think during every cake there is a moment when I hate it. Lol [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3329807/width/200/height/400[/IMG] Also, on Monday I came down with the flu. I was so worried that I would still be sick on Friday when I needed to bake the cakes. Thankfully my mom watched my kids, and I was able to sleep most of the week. Friday morning I was feeling good as new.

melmar02 Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 2:43pm
post #24 of 34

Most of CalJava's videos are really advertisements to buy their flowers/fondant/etc, but there are good tips in the videos. In the topsy turvey video, Bronwen Weber ices and covers a square cake within the first 9 minutes. So you can watch the first part and then the remaining 20 minutes is how to use her stand. 

All that being said, here is how I cover my cakes. I use buttercream, not ganache (just not anything I have been interested in yet). The kind depends on the cake - GSA's modified SMBC, ABC, and Earlene's Crusting Cream Cheese (which is more ABC than cream cheese). Regardless of the recipe, my method is always the same. Once the cake is iced, it goes in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour. I roll out my fondant, take the cake from the fridge and immediately lay the fondant on the cold cake. I smooth the top with my hand, and then the top edge all the way around with the heel of my hand. For squares, then I do the 4 corners like in the video linked above. Then I start to work my way down the cake a little at a time kind of in a row around the cake... I smooth down a couple inches, turn the cake and smooth the fondant down, turn the cake and smooth the fondant down... until I get to where I started and then I smooth down the next "row" of a couple inches in the same fashion. Once you get to the bottom, pull out the skirt and smooth. Take your time - I get into the most trouble when I rush. It will get easier every time you do it, just practice!  ;)

SweetShop5 Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 6:42pm
post #25 of 34

I've completed my Disney's Frozen order!

Here's the cake:

Elsa is 2D and completely edible.

Cake pops:

Sugar cookies:

Gerle Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 6:56pm
post #26 of 34

Beautiful job Sweetshop.  They all turned out beautiful!

SweetShop5 Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 9:02pm
post #27 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerle 

Beautiful job Sweetshop.  They all turned out beautiful!

Thank you!!

FlRugbyChick Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 11:01pm
post #28 of 34

AHow did you get elsa to stay up? Is there a dowel inside or behind her?

SweetShop5 Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 11:08pm
post #29 of 34

A

Original message sent by FlRugbyChick

How did you get elsa to stay up? Is there a dowel inside or behind her?

I put a cake pop stick in a square piece of fondant. Then i let it dry for about a day, and stuck that behind her :) Same for the ice shards

FlRugbyChick Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 12:27am
post #30 of 34

AThanks, I haven't done any flat decorations standing up yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%