Ganache Issues

Decorating By SweetSuzie Updated 21 Mar 2015 , 4:43pm by SweetSuzie

SweetSuzie Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 7

I made a dark chocolate ganache where it was 2 parts chocolate 1 part heavy cream.  I added about 4tbs butter and a little squirt of corn syrup.  Don't ask why, it was the recipe I was using.  Anyways, I let it set overnight on counter and it looked great.  Put on my cake and at first looked great but then noticed the chocolate started setting up.  What was in the pan looked great, what went on the cake set up dry and yucky shortly there after.  Any ideas why?  Thanks everyone....

6 replies
costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 7

When you say it set up, do you mean that it started getting drier on the surface and kind of tacky if you touch it? That's normal. If it started turning a different color or cracking that's not.

SweetSuzie Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 12:02am
post #3 of 7

ADrier on surface not really tacky. Yes turned different color (no longer dark and shiny more brownish and dry).

costumeczar Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 3:44am
post #4 of 7

Weird, it sounds like the chocolate bloomed. Was it dusty-looking before you made the ganache? You didn't heat the chocolate up, did you? If it's on the cake there's nothing you'll be able to do to change that look now, sorry. You might have to make another batch and pour it over.

But it might also have been because you were moving it around with a spatula too much. If you want it to be glossy and not change color you have to be careful not to manipulate it too much, just pour it over the cake and let it cover the sides without messing with it too much. 

MKC Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 7

Athe ganache won't stay shinny when you use it. it will also start to set. it's normal...

Lizzybug78 Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 7

AIt will stay shiny as long as it's just poured while it's still liquid, as costumeczar said. It's only when it's set up a bit and you start spreading it that it loses the shine.

It shouldn't look dry though. That sounds like something went a bit wrong :/

SweetSuzie Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 7

I just want to thank you all for your input.  I didn't use it in liquid form but rather let it set up overnight.  Perhaps it was because I moved it a lot with the spatula and it was dark chocolate.  Last time I did this the customer didn't request dark chocolate and it looked great.  I'm apt to think it was because of it being dark chocolate.   Either way, thank you all so very much. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%