How Do I Get My Marshmallow Fondant To Not Dry Out Soon Soon?

Decorating By dsahuja27 Updated 19 Feb 2015 , 6:56am by bakernoob

dsahuja27 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 3:08am
post #1 of 8

I make it and after a week it goes rock solid. How can I have the fondant stay soft for a longer time?

7 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 3:51am
post #2 of 8

Air tight storage is your only hope. Wrap in plastic, then again, then in foil....or...better yet.... get a seal-a-meal food sealer system and put it in that bag and it stays FRESH!

bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 5:14am
post #3 of 8

It might be your recipe depending on what ingredients yours calls for.

I had no luck at all with MM fondant - I hate it actually lol - but I found that the recipes that called for glucose and glycerine were much longer lasting/ more flexible etc than the ones that call just for MM's and icing sugar. So if you are storing it correctly maybe post your recipe.

ropalma Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 8

I do my own MMF and it does get hard.  I just pop it in the microwave a few seconds at a time until it gets soft enough to knead but not long enough that will melt.

MBalaska Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 3:10am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus 

Air tight storage is your only hope. Wrap in plastic, then again, then in foil....or...better yet.... get a seal-a-meal food sealer system and put it in that bag and it stays FRESH!

You can't beat this sealer. Whether it's cookies, cake or fish: it's worth every penny.  For your MMF,  you can also give it a light coating of Crisco before you wrap it in plastic.

johnson6ofus Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 3:53am
post #6 of 8

LOVE mine too MBalaska!

dsahuja27 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 6:26am
post #7 of 8

AThank you everyone. It was really helpful. Thank you for taking out the time to answer my question.

bakernoob Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 6:56am
post #8 of 8

As everyone has said air tight storage is the only way. When I make MMF I lightly grease it with crisco before wrapping it in plastic wrap and then putting in a ziploc bag and then usually into a plastic container. I've never had it dry out then. I can use it weeks later & it's still fine just needs to be kneaded a little :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%