Gas Vs Electric

Baking By cadgurl07 Updated 12 Feb 2015 , 11:26am by cadgurl07

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

I recently moved to a place that has a gas oven. I have only ever had an electric oven. Now non of my cookies are coming out the same. Specially my chocolate chip cookies. They normally stay soft and chewy for days. Now they get crunchy right after they cool. Is there something I can do to get the original back oven wise or recipe wise?

Thanks! 

4 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 2:44am
post #2 of 5

That is pretty interesting. I, too have electric. Hopefully, someone here will know what to do. It sounds like maybe you need to lower the oven a little bit. Maybe gas cooks hotter than electric. I really do not know. Someone here should be able to answer your question. I will be curious as to what others have to say about this. Good luck and I hope you figure out what to do to correct your cookies being too crispy!!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 3:35am
post #3 of 5

Every oven bakes differently and gives us results that are not exactly the same. Your issue is not gas versus electric baking, but that you are now using a different appliance. You'll need to make adjustments in rack height, bake times, and temperature. If your cookies dry out too fast, you might be overbaking them. Good luck!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 6:56am
post #4 of 5

AI agree it sounds like your gas oven is hotter than your electric. An oven thermometer would tell you how hot your oven is running.

cadgurl07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadgurl07 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 11:26am
post #5 of 5

Thanks I'll have to go get a thermometer and check that out. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%