Gold Cake With Sequin Look - With Candy "sprinkles" Not Gumpaste Discs

Decorating By pursuing_perfection Updated 28 Apr 2015 , 10:35pm by maybenot

pursuing_perfection Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 11

I have a friend who wants the "EDIBLE GOLD SEQUIN" LOOK on a cake.  However, she wants to use small candy stars instead of the circle shapes.  I have googled, and watched several different tutorials.  I also read the thread on here about "edible gold sequins", but so far my attempts are an epic fail!  I tried using "paint" made with gold luster dust and clear vanilla (as I don't have vodka in the house, and several people said that you could substitute vanilla).  The paint did not cover the pastel color.  As I re-apply multiple coats, it just fills in the spaces around the candies so that it is getting harder to see the star shape.  If it wasn't for the candy color showing through, you might not be able to tell that they are star-shaped.  To further complicate things, I live in a SMALL town and have to drive an hour or more to buy cake decorating supplies.  While I try to stock up on everything imaginable, I can't foresee every possible dilemma and solution.  SO, I would appreciate if anyone who has successfully done this look on a cake, would let me know how they did it...and even what didn't work for them.  Thanks so much!  Even if I don't get answers today...I would still like to know for "the next time".  :)

p.s.  I even thought of using the Wilton Gold Color Mist (can it be used on the candy disc sprinkles?), but I cannot buy it in the closest city (apparently it is a seasonal/Christmas item).  I have 2 days until my friend's daughter's birthday, and she is basically paying for supplies (and I have a budget to stick to), so I cannot afford to order anything on-line and have it shipped "next-day-delivery".

10 replies
ellavanilla Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 11

your friend has asked for something that you cannot achieve. you're gonna have to tell her no. 

there are products like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003KK9HD8/?tag=cakecentral-20

but the cost will be prohibitive for an entire cake. 

shanter Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 11

Explain to your friend that the technique was designed for round shapes and it would cost too much and take too long for you to order extra ingredients (that you cannot buy locally) and experiment (over and over and over) with stars and various coloring agents to have it look good. She has no idea that what she asked for is not doable with your budget and time contraints.

If you decide to keep trying, you might find "airline"-size vodka bottles in your local liquor store (mine has them) so you wouldn't be wasting much. It might work better than clear vanilla.

pursuing_perfection Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 5:20am
post #4 of 11

The local grocery store let me into their bakery (where I used to work) to try airbrushing with gold.  That didn't work either!  The pastel stars are now a nice autumn shades as they obviously absorbed some brown color from the gold...but I still don't have gold stars - even after 8 or 9 coats!  (I wouldn't recommend eating that.  LOL.)  So, I guess I have to make the dreaded call tomorrow and say I can't get the look she wants.  The tutorial she referred me to looked so simple, or I wouldn't have let her get her hopes up (it didn't work).

wggirl Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 11

Making a sequin cake does requires a bit of planning, trail and error at first. I used small round confetti sprinkles purchased 3 lbs in bulk online for less than $20. Frosted layered cake with buttercream and marshmallow fondant. Painted on thin coat of piping gel; allowing it to dry just a little. Hand sprinkled and patted on confetti; set aside until piping gel completely dries. I also used an airbrush combining silver, white and a tiny bit of black airbrush liquid. I would stop here for a totally edible cake. For decor only cakes I also purchased online a non edible luster dust and used foam dummy cake layer. I found the non edible silver dust was more metallic (awe factor).  I mixed the dust with lemon extract and painted over the airbrush area. I found I used less dust by airbrushing first. I'm sure you could use the non edible dust on a real cake by peeling off the fondant before serving. The key to making this design on a budget is buying bulk, making your own confetti rounds, making fondant and shopping in advance for the best price for ingredients.

maybenot Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 12:14am
post #6 of 11

We just had a demo of this at the OH ICES Day of Sharing yesterday.

The demonstrator used round, primary colored quins [sprinkles].  She pressed them into fresh buttercream.  She made a paint of edible metallic luster dust and cheap vodka.  She sprayed the cake, explaining that for complete coverage she would need to do that 5-6 TIMES.

I've seen it done by hand painting and even in that case, the decorator did 4 coats.  The quins absorb the first 2 coats, so it's only after the 3rd coat that they finally begin to look very metallic.

If you start with yellow star quins, or even the pastel star quins, you'll have faster, better results.  You can google those online.  Amazon carries them, too.  But, I see no way to get this done in 2 days.  I'd get a star cutter, cut out yellow fondant stars, apply them, and spray that gold.  Search "gold edible food spray" on Amazon and you'll find the Wilton gold mist, as well as several others.

Jedi Knight Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 4:18am
post #8 of 11

Hmmmm.what about spraying cake cake with edible lacquer before using the gold? It might help seal the sprinkles so that thay don't absorb so much gold.

maybenot Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 4:36am
post #9 of 11

Might help, but most edible lacquers taste pretty bad and the best ones are expensive....

icingimages Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 10:47am
post #10 of 11

Plus edible lacquers while they are food safe, it is not really food grade.  There is a short video on our website as to how to this technique from Michele Payne from the Cake Boss on our blog http://www.icingimages.com/blog/2015/04/easy-sequin-cake-tutorial/ Its not exactly what you want, but at least you can see how its done.

maybenot Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @icingimages on 11 hours ago

Plus edible lacquers while they are food safe, it is not really food grade.  

And there's the rub--food safe, food grade, edible.  It's enough to make you crazy!

Food safe means that it's OK to contact food but food grade is a step higher in that the components are more pure and high quality.  Some plastics are merely food safe [think saran wrap], while others are actually food grade [think storage containers], but of course, no plastic is edible.

The edible lacquers are sprayable edible shellac [made from beetle secretions].  The one I use is from Confectionery Arts and it is food-grade.  Sometimes, it's the propellants that are not food grade, even when the product ingredients are food grade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%