Wrapping Cake Boatds.

Decorating By FlRugbyChick Updated 11 May 2015 , 12:52am by Grama Sandy

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 19

AI was wondering if anyone uses regular tin foil to wrap their boards, or does everyone use the expensive wilton foil.

18 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 19

Have you tried the gold or silver cake boards? I use those, or the colored food-grade foil, which is not cheap. But Wilton isn't the only supplier. I think aluminum foil tears easily and has that "amateur" look. 

FlRugbyChick Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 19

AI mostly us the silver boards, but sometimes I need a size that I can't find in silver. I haven't tried covering the board in fondant yet. Where do you buy your foil? The stores I go to only carry wilton. I haven't tried buying bulk online either.

Grama Sandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Grama Sandy Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 19

ABecause I try to keep prices down I have for 30 plus years used the cardboard covered in high quality butcher or freezer paper. The only exception is for special occasions...weddings & such. Have never had a complaint.

MimiFix Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 19
MimiFix Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

I found these using Google. I hope it gives you a head start.

http://www.******************/foilboardwrap.html

http://www.wineandcake.com/browse.cfm/cake-foil-for-cake-boards/2,1238.html

not sure what happened... fondant source dot com

Grama Sandy Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 11:47pm
post #7 of 19

AI cannot open the link.

FlRugbyChick Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 12:04am
post #8 of 19

AThose are pretty, ty

Grama Sandy Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 12:19am
post #9 of 19

AThank you.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 May 2015 , 4:36am
post #10 of 19

I use decorative wrapping paper and cover it over with clear food safe basket cellophane.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 May 2015 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 19

If you just want a quick, inexpensive method, I agree with Grama Sandy and use freezer paper, shiny side up (touching the cake).  You can quickly finish the board with a ribbon around the edge and you have a cake board that looks far better than aluminum foil.  The other risk with aluminum foil is that when the cake is cut, the foil may become part of the serving because it cuts easily and sticks to the slice of cake.

Reynolds Freezer paper:

http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Wrap-Freezer-Paper-Boxed/dp/B000ARTZK4

BabyGotCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyGotCakes Posted 10 May 2015 , 6:09pm
post #12 of 19

Quote by @SquirrellyCakes on 13 hours ago

I use decorative wrapping paper and cover it over with clear food safe basket cellophane.

Same here, Squirrelly!  I use scrapbook paper and cellophane and sometimes I've used clear contact paper instead of the cello.

Grama Sandy Posted 10 May 2015 , 6:22pm
post #13 of 19

That sounds fun with the decorative paper and cellophane. Does the cellophane not cut easily? (As in would it cut when you cut the cake?)

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 May 2015 , 6:23pm
post #14 of 19

BabyGotCakes - scrap book paper when covered with food-safe clear wrap of some kind, does work great too!  So many pattern choices. I also use washed material, sometimes puffing up the base with quilting stuffing.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 10 May 2015 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 19

No, the cellophane doesn't cut easily at all.  You tape the cover to the back of your board.  The great advantage is that it makes just about any paper food-safe.  Of course, you don't want to saw back and forth too hard with a serrated knife like you are a lumberjack cutting through wood.  I have never actually cut right through it.  Another advantage is you can get the super wide rolls  of cellophane that are sold for covering food baskets.  

For my own home use, I often re-use the same covered boards that I have either wiped clean or re-covered so it saves me money.  

Plus people really appreciate the fact that the board matches the cake's theme.

BabyGotCakes Posted 10 May 2015 , 10:17pm
post #16 of 19

Quote by @Grama Sandy on 3 hours ago

That sounds fun with the decorative paper and cellophane. Does the cellophane not cut easily? (As in would it cut when you cut the cake?)

Grama Sandy, I glue a cardboard cake board, cut to fit the size of the cake, to the cellophane covered board so the cake rests on this and not actually on the cello and then when it is cut into, you are cutting down onto this other board and not onto the cello.  Did that make sense?? LOL

Grama Sandy Posted 11 May 2015 , 12:05am
post #17 of 19

I understand about the cardboard under the cake and your reasoning for it, to me that is just another cost  I go think I will try the paper & cellophane  thanks for all your suggestions  

BabyGotCakes Posted 11 May 2015 , 12:46am
post #18 of 19

Quote by @Grama Sandy on 39 minutes ago

I understand about the cardboard under the cake and your reasoning for it, to me that is just another cost  I go think I will try the paper & cellophane  thanks for all your suggestions  

Maybe an extra cost but a very minimal one at that.

Grama Sandy Posted 11 May 2015 , 12:52am
post #19 of 19

Very true. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%