Filling Cakes With Fruit Fillings

Decorating By tomsmom245 Updated 24 Feb 2015 , 4:23pm by SunshineBaker

tomsmom245 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 7

When filling cakes with fruit fillings, how do you prevent the layers from slipping?  I recently made a cake with a thick buttercream icing dam and filled the cake with strawberry filling and frosted with buttercream.  The top layer slid partially off during transport.  Where did I go wrong?

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2015 , 3:48am
post #2 of 7

How thick was the filling?   It might be you needed to thicken it some.  Also when using such filling it might be helpful to put a straw or dowel down thru the layers to held them together.  One last suggestion: could it be your driving was too blame?  If it was not put on a level surface for transport slamming on the breaks or going around a corner on two wheels (LOL) could have caused the separation..

tomsmom245 Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 3:42am
post #3 of 7

LOL!!!  It actually happened once with a buttercream filling that I had mixed in strawberry jam and another time with the sleeve strawberry filling.   No crazy driving, but the cake traveled about 35 miles.   I have a bride want a filling for her cake in lieu of buttercream, but I am afraid of what might happen... :(

kakeladi Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 4:01am
post #4 of 7

That a gander in my pictures - ALL of my wedding cakes had fillings - mostly fruit.  I never mixed it with anything - straight out of the sleeve or jar of jam.  Maybe you put too much filling?  Make your dam - I always used tip 12 - the open coupler usually is too thick tempting you to use more filling.  I almost always had my cakes finished the day before delivery so the crusting b'cream had time to set well.  That helps hold your layers together.  If possible chill the cake before delivery - that also helps.  I have traveled as much at 300 miles with 2 and 3 tiered cakes.

BTW: I used to live in Goshen, IN.  Moved back to CA about 5 yrs ago to be near my daughter.

HamSquad Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 5:58am
post #5 of 7

AJust a suggestion, when I made wedding cakes with fruit fillings, I piped a frosting ring (using just a coupler with no slit) 1/2" from the edge of all cakes, then I put a thin layer of butter cream frosting in the middle of the ring, then a thin layer of fruit filling on top of the butter cream. Add next layer of cake and slightly push down on the whole cake with a cake circle, checked to see if anything would come out. If the coast was clear, the cake was crumb coated and into the refrigerator to chill before adding final layer of frosting. This usually worked well. Very time consuming, but it works, I hope it works for you.

tomsmom245 Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much! I'll give it a shot.

SunshineBaker Posted 24 Feb 2015 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 7

I just read in another thread (because I was searching about jam seeping out on a fondant covered cake and how to repair it) that someone also put an "X" of dam buttercream in the center of the layer when using jams to prevent the layer from slipping.  I thought that was kind of a neat idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%